The Finer Points of the Notice Skill

This is the topic for asking questions about how the core rules officially work. Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

LCFlores91
Novice

The Finer Points of the Notice Skill

#1 Postby LCFlores91 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:59 pm

I'm having a little bit of trouble wrapping my head around the "Notice" skill in [SW:EE] (and [SWD] for that matter). It doubles as both a character's perception of the physical world as well as their ability to read NPCs? Does it essentially work as both a "Sense Motive" and "Perception" skill?

For example, say I have a situation where a PC is interacting with an NPC that he has been warned not to trust. The NPC tells something to the PC that the player feels may not be the entire truth. Would a Notice check a) Inform the Player that the NPC's manner and body language seem to be implying that he is being less than truthful, or b) Inform the Player of elements pertaining to the NPC's attire, stance, possessions etc.

I had though that Streetwise would serve as something of a "scam radar" for PCs, but as its written I got the impression that it functioned as more of a "Gather Information" skill (when using channels not covered by Investigation).

The reason I ask is that I have a case on my hands where all of my players want to grab Alertness as soon as possible so that they can not only be aware of traps, ambushes and hidden clues, but instantly detect when NPCs are lying to them.

Thank you in advanced for you clarification and insight!
"Feed little maggots off the Westside of your sin...
Run little maggot, Do they learn of what you did?"

Clint
Site Admin

Re: The Finer Points of the Notice Skill

#2 Postby Clint » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:36 am

LCFlores91 wrote:I'm having a little bit of trouble wrapping my head around the "Notice" skill in [SW:EE] (and [SWD] for that matter). It doubles as both a character's perception of the physical world as well as their ability to read NPCs? Does it essentially work as both a "Sense Motive" and "Perception" skill?

Essentially, I guess. Relating it to terms from another system is shaky ground, but close in this case (like close for hand grenades counts).

As the skill description states...

"Notice is a hero’s general alertness and ability to search for items or clues. This covers hearing rolls, detecting ambushes, spotting hidden weapons and even scrutinizing other characters to see if they’re lying, frightened, and so on. The more raises a character gets on a Notice roll, the more information the Game Master should reveal."

LCFlores91 wrote:For example, say I have a situation where a PC is interacting with an NPC that he has been warned not to trust. The NPC tells something to the PC that the player feels may not be the entire truth. Would a Notice check a) Inform the Player that the NPC's manner and body language seem to be implying that he is being less than truthful, or b) Inform the Player of elements pertaining to the NPC's attire, stance, possessions etc.

Possibly both, but if the other person is trying to hide their motivation, then we're looking at an Opposed Roll (Persuasion to be convincing) not a standard check.

Also, Notice isn't a "Success = Lie Detector" Skill. As it says, the character can get more information from additional raises and determining that someone is truly lying is typically going to be a layer or more deeper into scrutinization.

Hope that helps.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work”