(classic) Weaponsmith beam saber questions

All discussions about the Wasted West and Way Out West settings. If system specific, please note in the subject line, [SW], [Classic], or [d20].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

PsyBomb
Novice

(classic) Weaponsmith beam saber questions

#1 Postby PsyBomb » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:11 am

Say I have a Junker who is trying to make his very own version of the Plasma Sword from Cyborgs. There are rules for this beam weapon... except that it doesn't mention how to up a beam weapon's AP and just what its defensive bonus is supposed to be.

The latter I will assume to be as per the physical weapons chart for a normal weapon with that damage, but can someone help me with the AP part? Slots, materials, and drain if you know it. I'll have to default to Flash Gordon rules for it (+25% per AP) if it's not something else.

ScooterinAB
Seasoned

#2 Postby ScooterinAB » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:25 am

That's a really interesting question. I seem to recall that an energy weapon actually bypasses all regular armor. I can't find the mention, but the idea here is that the pure energy blade would just pass through most armor, as most magic does.

Failing this, I would use the Flas Gordon rules, as you mentioned. The Weaponsmith rules for AP assume that you are adding additional parts/new materials to the weapon in order to cut through armor. Flash Gordon, on the other had, assumes that you are turning the weapon up to 11 in order to bypass the armor.
28/12/09 Scooter just bought a Deadlands book... In a Japanese Gaming store... And the clerk knew what it was. Awesome.

PsyBomb
Novice

#3 Postby PsyBomb » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:46 pm

ScooterinAB, That is in Spirit Weapon and doesn't apply unless you have that power applied and active (at ten times your previous charge cost >.<)

Then again, soul taps are WONDERFUL things.

Templar
Seasoned

#4 Postby Templar » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:28 pm

Hmm, one idea might be to look at how they handle AP for the weapons in flash gordon and apply it thusly. That's the only Idea I can come up with offhand, I'm sorry.

PsyBomb
Novice

#5 Postby PsyBomb » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:48 am

Flash Gordon is just +25% drain per level of AP, with no materials or slot cost. I think I'm going to do that plus the increased Structural and Slots cost (as this only makes sense, call it more refined crystals for the power or some such). Really not all that bad overall, given how few slots it costs base. It even works out roughly correct after Miniaturize and Flow.

ScooterinAB
Seasoned

#6 Postby ScooterinAB » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:58 am

I'd use electronic or chemical instead. Using extra structural components is just a nuisance. Having to fork over an extra few chemical (to treat the device) or electronic (to handle the added power flow) makes it a little bit more of an exercise.
28/12/09 Scooter just bought a Deadlands book... In a Japanese Gaming store... And the clerk knew what it was. Awesome.

Return to “Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony”