Arcane Background: Backlash on a roll on “1”?

This is the topic for asking questions about how the core rules officially work. Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

ironfort
Novice

Arcane Background: Backlash on a roll on “1”?

#1 Postby ironfort » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:09 am

No answer on SE.RPG hope Clint can help?

http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/9071/arcane-background-backlash-on-a-roll-on-1

A lot of the Arcane Backgrounds something happens on a roll of '1' on your Spellcasting die. I originally read this to mean that only if your total was a natural '1' on your skill die, i.e. your first roll was a natural '1' then the bad stuff happens.

I heard that at least one other referee takes this to mean, a '1' even if you rolled it on an Ace. For example, say you have Spellcasting d8 and you rolled 8,8,1 then yes you get a success and 3 raises but you also get a backlash.

Is this how it is meant to be?

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Arcane Background: Backlash on a roll on “1”?

#2 Postby Clint » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:02 am

ironfort wrote:A lot of the Arcane Backgrounds something happens on a roll of '1' on your Spellcasting die. I originally read this to mean that only if your total was a natural '1' on your skill die, i.e. your first roll was a natural '1' then the bad stuff happens.

I heard that at least one other referee takes this to mean, a '1' even if you rolled it on an Ace. For example, say you have Spellcasting d8 and you rolled 8,8,1 then yes you get a success and 3 raises but you also get a backlash.

Is this how it is meant to be?

Nope. It's if the player rolls a natural 1 on the Trait die, not if he rolls a "natural 17" even if a 1 is involved. ;)
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work”