VTOL Engines + 'Cheating' the system?

All discussions about the Wasted West and Way Out West settings. If system specific, please note in the subject line, [SW], [Classic], or [d20].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

VTOL Engines + 'Cheating' the system?

#1 Postby rungok » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:43 pm

I was looking at the VTOL power as adjusted by Iron Oasis.

I was curious about the lift that a VTOL can achieve. Do I have to make one giant power for a carrier, or can I make a separate cargo device and build the VTOL to be able to pick up and drop off the cargo carrier?

Or another example, can I make a large size power just for the cargo (Size 15 or so) and then several smaller size 8 VTOL engines and just use them simultaneously to provide the necessary lift? (Perhaps using the brains power as a central control system)

I mean, I don't mind making such a huge device, but I prefer to build my devices in relatively safe increments. It just feels like I have to make a really difficult roll for a power that in essence is going to be 60-80% empty space most of the time.

#2 Postby ScooterinAB » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:17 pm

Are you thinking like Thunderbird 2? Because that would be awesome.

I think it would be best to have a single device, represented by multiple engines (ala the other flight powers, which allow you to spread the engines equally over the wings). As long as the engines were powerful enough to lift what you want to lift later, you will be fine.

I'd have to run the numbers, but if you just build the engines first, it shouldn't be that large. Plus, I recall a mechanic for building larger devices in stages, but I could be mistaken.
28/12/09 Scooter just bought a Deadlands book... In a Japanese Gaming store... And the clerk knew what it was. Awesome.

Return to “Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony”