A quick idea: Probability Engine

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

OSIAdept
Legendary

A quick idea: Probability Engine

#1 Postby OSIAdept » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:03 pm

Hey guys just trying to figure if this is balanced or not

This is for a set of cybernetics rules i am working on

M-1 Probability Engine
This is a small set of micro computers installed in the frontal lobe. It is designed to augment a users ability to caclucate odds determining the most likely outcome. This implant is avliable up to a level 4 implant
Mechanics:
Any time the player spends a benny to reroll a failed skill roll they may add a +1 bonus to the roll. The bonus increases by +1 per level of implant
Type: Alpha
Cost: 8000

77IM
Heroic

#2 Postby 77IM » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:44 pm

Is this using the TAG cyberpunk rules? If not, it will depend on what it "costs." 8000 seems like a lot but money is a risky balancing factor because you never know when the group will sell that stolen secret weapon for millions.

Anyway, this seems roughly balanced. It's a bonus to anything but only applies in limited situations. I'd say this was about as balanced as getting a bonus of the same size to a specific Trait all the time. I like it.

-- 77IM

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#3 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:44 pm

That does seem really, really powerful. At the highest levels it practically guarantees a success, and gives great odds of a Raise. Even capped at +2 it would still be incredibly good, virtually guaranteeing that spending a benny will make the check succeed.

Only for Skills? Not all Traits? Just making sure I'm reading it correctly.

OSIAdept
Legendary

#4 Postby OSIAdept » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:06 pm

Just skills

JmOz01
Seasoned

#5 Postby JmOz01 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:29 pm

Perhaps level 1 & 3 give a bonus on rerolls while level 2 & 4 give a bonus on the primary roll

so (all bonuses do not stack)

Level 1 +1 on reroll
Level 2: +1 on all skill rolls
Level 3: +1 on skill, +2 on reroll (Total)
Level 4: +2 on all skill rolls

77IM
Heroic

#6 Postby 77IM » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:19 pm

+1 or +2 on all skills, all the time, is phenomenally powerful.

I am starting to agree with ValhallaGH that at the upper levels this may be too strong. An ability that gave +4 to a single skill all the time, would be incredibly powerful, while a +2 seems OK. Similarly, +4 on any benny reroll is a sweet deal (benny = auto success), while +2 seems OK.

If I spend multiple bennies to get multiple rerolls, is the bonus cumulative? I'm not sure how I feel about that. It means that a player with a stack of bennies can get very confident that if he blows his wad he will succeed, almost guaranteed. OTOH, there are few things more disappointing than blowing through a stack of bennies and still failing... I've actually considered granting a cumulative +1 on rerolls as a house rule, for this very reason.

-- 77IM

steelbrok
Veteran

#7 Postby steelbrok » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:56 pm

It looks to me like a trapping of the boost trait power.

Thinking like this why not put in a form of Backlash as a balance?

also, it costs a benny so it isn't an unlimited bonus

how about +1 to the reroll per level of implant but if a natural one is rolled then the user is Shaken
Or maybe instead of automatically being shaken take 1d6 + implant level damage

Mylon
Seasoned

#8 Postby Mylon » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:12 pm

I think limiting it to 2 levels, one as an expensive upgrade and the other much more pricey, maybe 10x or more so in cost, would be fine.

Further, I'd also say it should only work on Smarts-based skills. You could purchase another implant for agility-based skills, maybe precision motor control or something.

OSIAdept
Legendary

#9 Postby OSIAdept » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:03 pm

I just went over my original idea and i agree that I might get a little power full at latter levels.

I was thinking of limiting it to military/corporate access that way the characters have to go through a lot to get it installed then not to mention if they got outside normal channels they might have people trying to get it back.

so here is a revised version

M-1 Probability Engine
This is a small set of micro computers installed in the frontal lobe. It is designed to augment a users ability to caclucate odds determining the most likely outcome. This implant is avliable up to a level 2 implant
Mechanics:
Any time the player spends a benny to reroll a failed skill roll they may add a +1 bonus to the roll. The bonus increases by +1 per level of implant
Type: Alpha
Cost: military (might be avliable on the black market but at incredibly high prices)

skylion
Veteran

#10 Postby skylion » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:09 pm

OSIAdept, do you have the Soloman Kane rules? The Conviction setting feature sounds like a great tool for a cyber inplant.

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#11 Postby Sitting Duck » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:25 am

skylion wrote:OSIAdept, do you have the Soloman Kane rules? The Conviction setting feature sounds like a great tool for a cyber inplant.

I'm guessing you meant Righteous Rage. Conviction I believe is the name of a Heroic level Edge allowing a player greater control over when Righteous Rage manifests.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

Clint
Site Admin

#12 Postby Clint » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:57 am

Personally, I'm not keen on combining a player meta-mechanic (Bennies) with a character in-game mechanic (like cyberware), but skylion's idea has merit.

Instead of increasing the bonus, increase the duration. The computer activates in times of extreme stress (spending a benny) and provides a +1 bonus to that roll and any roll made until the next round (likely just the one reroll, but could affect multi-actions). Each additional level extends the duration for the bonus an additional round. So...

Level 1 = +1 for 1 round
Level 2 = +1 for 2 rounds
Level 3 = +1 for 3 rounds
Level 4 = +1 for 4 rounds

If you want a mil-grade version, then it adds the +1 but also offsets up to a -2 penalty. That avoids the "auto-success" of a flat +2, but still allows a character to excel where the computer compensates for cover, concealment, or even the multiple action penalty (two actions at +1 is pretty awesome).

Course, this is all dependent on the overall setting and multiple other things for balance.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#13 Postby ValhallaGH » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:08 pm

Clint wrote:Instead of increasing the bonus, increase the duration. The computer activates in times of extreme stress (spending a benny) and provides a +1 bonus to that roll and any roll made until the next round (likely just the one reroll, but could affect multi-actions). Each additional level extends the duration for the bonus an additional round. So...

Level 1 = +1 for 1 round
Level 2 = +1 for 2 rounds
Level 3 = +1 for 3 rounds
Level 4 = +1 for 4 rounds

If you want a mil-grade version, then it adds the +1 but also offsets up to a -2 penalty. That avoids the "auto-success" of a flat +2, but still allows a character to excel where the computer compensates for cover, concealment, or even the multiple action penalty (two actions at +1 is pretty awesome).

This is what I wanted to suggest but lacked the rules savvy to work out. A pretty awesome piece of cyberware, but a bit "draining" so it only gets used for brief time spans.

OSIAdept
Legendary

#14 Postby OSIAdept » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:45 pm

I like Clint's idea of instead of an increasing bonus the duration increases

Granthar
Seasoned

#15 Postby Granthar » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:18 pm

Alterbately you could have it like data from star trek. Can calculate math but has a very dead pan characteristic, so maybe a hindrance dificulty to communicate to others?

OSIAdept
Legendary

#16 Postby OSIAdept » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:17 pm

Not quite what i am thinking.

Now if i was using rippertech as a basis for my cyberware that would be an excellent side effect of the implant

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”