[HoE] Doomsayer initiation

All discussions about the Wasted West and Way Out West settings. If system specific, please note in the subject line, [SW], [Classic], or [d20].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

ScooterinAB
Seasoned

[HoE] Doomsayer initiation

#1 Postby ScooterinAB » Tue May 04, 2010 10:03 am

I went to roll up an Initiate today out of curiosity, and and I'm a little curious how the whole 40 days initiation things works. Obviously, the period is sequential, so you need to do it all at once. However, after looking over starvation effects and the Sustenance power (which says it is cast on the Initiate), I'm not buying the whole deal.

Here's why. If you follow the Sustenance rules, you lose one wind per day. So you have to be able to take 40 points of wind loss, which seems near impossible. Starvation is even worse (thought I would look it up anyways).

I think the problem comes not from the wind loss, but from the resulting unconsciousness. How are you supposed to find your Mentor again if you've been passed out and have eaten by buzzards? Is the Initiate expected to pass out and nearly die trying to initiate, hoping that his or her mentor will retrieve the body?

I get the whole "cull the weak" deal, but this seems a little impossible. But it could just be me being very tired at the moment.

Thoughts?
28/12/09 Scooter just bought a Deadlands book... In a Japanese Gaming store... And the clerk knew what it was. Awesome.

Clint
Site Admin

Re: [HoE] Doomsayer initiation

#2 Postby Clint » Tue May 04, 2010 10:40 am

ScooterinAB wrote:Here's why. If you follow the Sustenance rules, you lose one wind per day. So you have to be able to take 40 points of wind loss, which seems near impossible.

The caster would lose 1 Wind, but the initiate isn't the caster, the mentor is, and he (or she) can eat whenever they want. Even if it did affect the initiate, it's 1 Wind per use, but the "special version" for initiation is only cast once for the entire 40 days. One use; one Wind.

The real goal for the Initiate is to successfully cast Tolerance to survive the radiation they need to be around in order to gain the benefit from Sustenance, which doesn't protect from radiation only allow it to substitute for food.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

ScooterinAB
Seasoned

#3 Postby ScooterinAB » Tue May 04, 2010 9:11 pm

Ah. The wording of Sustenance is a little unclear. Thanks.
28/12/09 Scooter just bought a Deadlands book... In a Japanese Gaming store... And the clerk knew what it was. Awesome.

Return to “Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony”