Blind Martial Artist

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Narr
Novice

Blind Martial Artist

#1 Postby Narr » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:40 am

Hey Folks!

I'm running a DLR campaign and have to manage some special characters. My girlfriend want's to play a blind martial artist, who is trained in hearing and sensing other characters movements, so she can - once in melee combat - ignore the penalty for the blind hindrance.

I thought of giving her a Chi Power based on Boost/Lower Trait, which once activated (and maintained), lets her ignore the whole penalty in melee combat. That works only if her enemy is aside. For sensing enemies further away she has to make a notice roll at -2 (or -4?) before she can attack them.

What do you think? Overpowered? Any other suggestions?

thanks & cheers :)

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#2 Postby Sitting Duck » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:06 am

How about homebrewing an Edge? I'd say one with a requirement of Notice d6+ to allow you to ignore the trait penalty from the Blind Hindrance as regards Fighting rolls.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

Clint
Site Admin

#3 Postby Clint » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:44 am

Modern Martial Arts has two Edges for ignoring darkness penalties due to other enhanced senses. It even allows a Blind character to take the advanced one at Novice Rank. Not all of the Edges would work with DL, but those might in this instance.

http://realityblurs.com/wordpress/?page_id=981
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Narr
Novice

#4 Postby Narr » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:07 pm

Didn't know Modern Martial Arts before..
Thanks for this one Clint! :mrgreen:

jpk
Legendary

#5 Postby jpk » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:49 pm

You could also go with a modified Hindrance to get what the real impact is. Basically, the character can't read or make out any visual detail, but knows where everything is otherwise, right? You might just go with Blind with no direct combat penalties and no bonus Edge.

But that's just an idle thought. Kick it around before you recognize its inherent genius.

:razz:

Clint
Site Admin

#6 Postby Clint » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:53 pm

jpk wrote:You could also go with a modified Hindrance to get what the real impact is. Basically, the character can't read or make out any visual detail, but knows where everything is otherwise, right? You might just go with Blind with no direct combat penalties and no bonus Edge.

Or Bad Eyes as a Major Hindrance instead of Blind. That's almost exactly the description of the effect above. The character doesn't really suffer any penalties for anything within 5" as their other senses compensate, but beyond that suffers a -2 penalty.

"Blind with training to compensate" just becomes the trapping for Bad Eyes. The character gets it as a Major Hindrance since glasses can't do anything.
Clint Black

Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Narr
Novice

#7 Postby Narr » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:59 pm

Thanks for your ideas, but I think I'll stick with Modern Martial Arts

The thing is, her character can't see at all, so if an object like a table is in her way she won't see it, because it doesn't move or make any sound.

It's just her martial arts training, that gave her the ability to hear little sounds like drawing of a weapon, feel the air moving when her enemy turns and combine this informations with combat experience to react with the right action.

So she can't feel or see anything within 5''. She just manages to fight perfectly well if some bad guy happens to stand right next to her. :)

Harboe
Seasoned

#8 Postby Harboe » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:11 am

It's not entirely unrealistic to fight without impediment in close combat (being a Wing Tsun practitioner, I can testify that vision is largely irrelevant once you're within striking range).
Bad Eyes (Major) would be the easiest way to do it. Or Blind as "just" a Major hindrance, rather than granting an additional Edge.

Personally, I'd just flavour the character as blind (no penalties to my Notice, thankyouverymuch). With superhuman hearing, sense of smell and intuition, melee or even ranged combat simply happens.
Of course, reading and all that would be out of the question.
My Conversions:
Savage Heresy
Savagerun!

Chezzo
Seasoned

#9 Postby Chezzo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:49 am

The thing is, her character can't see at all, so if an object like a table is in her way she won't see it, because it doesn't move or make any sound.

My mother is blind, and also a blind rehab teacher (it's the blind leading the blind!) and she says that inanimate objects make noise when you're outside. It's the wind hitting them or something. She says chain link fences sound different than buildings, etc.

Also, a blind person would usually have their hands out to see if they're gonna whack into anything. That, or a cane.

I grew up with a lot of blind people around my house, and none of them ever ran headlong into a door or anything. It wasn't as slapstick as you would hope.

AtomicTeaspoon
Seasoned

#10 Postby AtomicTeaspoon » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:27 pm

Even stretching into the realm of pulp martial arts, I'd like to think there were situations where a blind warrior would still have trouble. At the very least, they are given a penalty to notice or fighting in loud or poorly accoustic places.
I'm not about punishing people for thinking outside of the box. It's just fun to exploit situations like that.

Poor Wandering One
Veteran

#11 Postby Poor Wandering One » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:44 pm

Back in the day I played a blind sumatori/massause in a bushido game.

It played rather well. In a fight he took full blindness penalities and had some problems but if he got so much as half a finger on you the fight was all over but the screaming.

I would like to bring him back someday in Deadlands or Usagi Yojombo.

As far as the OP. I second Clint on the retrapping of Bad Eyes. I love how flexible SW is. Retrapping edges/hinderences can do so much.

~will

Narr
Novice

#12 Postby Narr » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:49 pm

I grew up with a lot of blind people around my house, and none of them ever ran headlong into a door or anything. It wasn't as slapstick as you would hope.

It wasn't my intention to let her run into tables and stuff :wink: She won't have to make a notice roll to check if she notices things like walls and fences but to see them from a distance she would have to. Also if she wants to see things like if someone is aiming at her or if there's a ladder to climb a roof..

It's not entirely unrealistic to fight without impediment in close combat (being a Wing Tsun practitioner, I can testify that vision is largely irrelevant once you're within striking range)

I also do Wing Tsun Kung Fu and that's why I came up with the idea to let her fight in melee with no penalties. But it shurely needs some training to do that and thats why I like the approach with the Modern Martial Arts edges.. With the one free edge from the blind hindrance she would have to get just one aditional to fight without any penalties. Thats a good way to simulate the training she would need to do this stile of fighting.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”