SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY - SW:EX edition

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Is Lord Lance a good guy?

Of course he is!
49%
You can bet!
12%
Men, I'll offer him a beer if we'll meet one day!
38%

Total votes: 97

Lord Lance
Heroic

SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY - SW:EX edition

#1 Postby Lord Lance » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:37 am

Hallo everybody.
With the "green light" of the original author, I started to convert and update the "old" Savage Beasts free fanmade bestiary at SW:EX edition rules and mood. I'm not making a full redesign, and I don't want any particular compatibility or balance between this product and other bestiaries - like the new one you can find in the nice & official Fantasy Companion book.
However, I hope the creatures you'll find inside will be useful and inspiring for your personal campaigns. Note that this is a "generic" bestiary, so you will find some kind of alien, agents, dynos, devils and serial killers too!

You can read the file here:
http://goo.gl/7DCkD
Last edited by Lord Lance on Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:41 am, edited 4 times in total.

zeth
Veteran

#2 Postby zeth » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:26 am

You have done a good thing here.

Lord Lance
Heroic

#3 Postby Lord Lance » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:03 am

The work is slowly progressing... We have Dragons, Giants and a couple of Werecreatures by Dave.B ! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Of course, if anyone created nice creatures, please send them to me, so I can "playtest" them for a while, and then insert'em in the bestiary!

Rohan
Veteran

#4 Postby Rohan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:12 am

I got this crazy idea for basing an adventure off The House that Jack Built. I'll be giving you the critters that I come up with for that, and I'll probably be stealing your idea for an ancient creature template for an Ancient Minotaur, wild card of course.
Kevin Rohan, Content Director
www.silvergryphongames.com

Become a fan on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Silvergryphongames

Current WIP: Wellstone City Chronicles, Puppets, and One-liners

Lord Lance
Heroic

#5 Postby Lord Lance » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:45 pm

Eh eh, templates could be a funny and fast system to fine tune a creature for your own roleplay group...

I was thinking that I could make other templates like "Final Boss", or "The Cunning One", something like that...

Candi
Novice

#6 Postby Candi » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:13 pm

Agreed on templates, they're really useful in 4e for two key purposes:
1. As you said, good way to get a quick flavourful critter on the board in a hurry
2. Creating a themed group of monsters by giving everything the same template (or one of a collection of themed templates)

Some template suggestions:

Shambling Zombie
Undead, +1 step Vigor, +1 step Strength, -3 Pace (minimum 2), smarts becomes "A".
Gains Special Ability: "Natural Weapon" Str+d4 (Claw/Bite/Body Slam)

Fire Touched
+1 step Strength, fire resistance, and special ability novice power with fire trapping, +10 PP.

Air Touched
+1 step Agility, +1 Pace, and special ability novice power with air/wind trapping, +10 PP.

Earth Touched
+1 step Vigor, +1 Parry, and special ability novice power with earth trapping, +10 PP.

Water Touched
+1 step Spirit, water resistance, and special ability novice power with water trapping, +10 PP.

Enhanced Cyborg
Construct, +1 to any attribute, +1 step to any two skills, +1 Toughness.

Vinzent
Heroic

#7 Postby Vinzent » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:32 pm

That's funny, I was starting to do this too, but my format is for 4x6 note cards

Virgobrown72
Heroic

#8 Postby Virgobrown72 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:07 pm

The more I look at this, the sexier it gets.... :cool:

Candi
Novice

#9 Postby Candi » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:19 pm

Also, something that would give it a lot of easy use would be an index - at the top or at the bottom of the document. I know they're listed alphabetically but having all of it listed condensed as just names would go a long way to making it easier to see if there's something yoinkable buried in amongst the gold.

elf23
Seasoned

#10 Postby elf23 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:22 am

This looks really useful, thanks Lord Lance for updating it! (I was just thinking about a Doppelganger last night, and here one is!)

I was wondering about the flying creatures... I noticed they're listed as having a Pace and an acceleration rate, whereas the flying creatures in SWEX and the Fantasy Companion are listed with a Pace and a climb rate. All 3 seem useful really.

Maybe the acceleration rate could be used as the climb rate? They seem to be about the same kind of values. (Perhaps that was the intention?)

Lord Lance
Heroic

#11 Postby Lord Lance » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:07 am

elf23 wrote:I noticed they're listed as having a Pace and an acceleration rate, whereas the flying creatures in SWEX and the Fantasy Companion are listed with a Pace and a climb rate.

Nice catch, guy!!

I'll go ask Clint about that, 'cause even in the "new" Fantasy Companion, some creature has the "acceleration" and miss the climb... examples:
Gargoyles, Dragon), while the Roc has all the three informations. Maybe we need a "canon style" about the Flight descriptions for those creatures ...

elf23
Seasoned

#12 Postby elf23 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:13 am

Lord Lance wrote:I'll go ask Clint about that, 'cause even in the "new" Fantasy Companion, some creature has the "acceleration" and miss the climb... examples: Gargoyles, Dragon), while the Roc has all the three informations. Maybe we need a "canon style" about the Flight descriptions for those creatures ...

Oh yeah, i'd not noticed the acceleration values in the FC bestiary! I guess maybe there's some assumption that if one of the values isn't listed then it defaults to... {unknown}?

Clint
Site Admin

#13 Postby Clint » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:36 am

elf23 wrote:Oh yeah, i'd not noticed the acceleration values in the FC bestiary! I guess maybe there's some assumption that if one of the values isn't listed then it defaults to... {unknown}?

Climb would default to half Pace.

Acceleration isn't used if not listed (the creature can immediately "accelerate" to its full Pace).
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

elf23
Seasoned

#14 Postby elf23 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:39 am

Thanks!

Dave.B
Veteran

#15 Postby Dave.B » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:11 pm

hmmm. gimme a couple of days, i may have some things to throw on here.
after the big old chemistry test and wrappping up my Wellstone module.

Dave.B

Lord Lance
Heroic

#16 Postby Lord Lance » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:25 am

Thanks Clint. When I have time I'll fix my creatures, and this could be a nice clarification for the next SW edition...

Lord Lance
Heroic

#17 Postby Lord Lance » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:56 pm

Added a short paragraph to explain Climb and Acceleration.
Revised the whole thing a little more.
Added a nice bookmarked summary in the first pages.
Works proceed slowly... :| Done with the golems.
PS: could anyone read the "fluff" text for the "Animal, Ancient" template, and suggest me some embellishment of the phrases? You know, my english knowledge is d4, so I would grateful for some hint.
"Balance is the key, Trapping is the word." - - Lord Lance

Proud creator of the SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY

elf23
Seasoned

#18 Postby elf23 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:20 pm

Hi Lord Lance, thanks so much for all this, it's really great! The index makes it very nice to use...

I don't know if you'd like a collaborator, but i'd be up for helping out with the conversions. It's such a worthwhile project, and i find myself wishing it was finished now :)

By the way, here are some corrections for the bit about flying rates:

About flying creatures
Flying creatures simply move their Flying Pace (plus any running roll) each round.

Unless an Acceleration rate is listed the creature can immediately accelerate to its full Flying Pace. Some clumsy creatures have a lower Acceleration value, needing more than one round to reach their full Flying speed.

Also, when not specifically noted, a creature's Climb defaults to half of its current Flying speed. So, for example, a creature with a Flying Pace of 10", and 5" Acceleration could climb about 2" during the first turn (when it moves 5"), and 5" in the following turns (when it has reached its top speed of 10").

Bill
Legendary

#19 Postby Bill » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:03 pm

Cave Locust Toughness is off (should be 6 (1)) and the Giant Centipede toughness should be 10 (2).

Just a couple things I noticed. Nice work!
The More I Learn, The Less I Know

Enpeze
Seasoned

#20 Postby Enpeze » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:40 am

post deleted

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”