The Horsemen (HoE)

All discussions about the Wasted West and Way Out West settings. If system specific, please note in the subject line, [SW], [Classic], or [d20].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

DeathinaBucket
Novice

The Horsemen (HoE)

#1 Postby DeathinaBucket » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:35 am

Hi! I'm new to the boards, but I've been running Deadlands (Weird and Wasted) for over two years. I own and have read every book, though I am far from having them memorized or anything.

So, I was wondering if I had missed something. I know where the Horsemen arrived. I know War showed up in Kansas and blazed a trail to the Sioux Nation. I know Famine touched down in the Great Maze and attacked Lost Angels. I know Pestilence arrived in Houston and Death in Death Valley, but what did they do? The Prospector and Jo only talk about their minions. I can't believe that no one in the West would know what these two did before trotting off Back East, and neither can my posse. I know I can play it off with the whole, "Information is scarce..." riff, but this is kinda big stuff.

It's a little difficult to even make up (which I'm reluctant to do, because the Reloaded writers will do a way better job than me). What would Death do in Death Valley, the place with the least number of people to kill? I know there's a name pun, but what major population centers exist for Death to reap? Why did Pestilence show up in Texas? Because of some Tummy Twister outbreak? A little weak. How about South of the Boarder, where the Spanish built an empire on the graves of the victims of Smallpox, or the Oregon Trail, where thousands of daughters died of dysentery while their families were fording the river.

An actual map of the Paths of the Horsemen would really be awesome, but I suppose it is asking a bit much. Any suggestions would be well appreciated. Thanks!

Edivdrone
Seasoned

#2 Postby Edivdrone » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:55 pm

As to the why, I can't help you, but in Brainburners, the Earther who narrates for a little while mentions her run in with Pestilence and its minions after the bombs fell. What did they do? Fairly simple really. Made a swath of devastation across the west and then crossed the Mississippi river. War and Famine get more attention because they attacked, and wreaked destruction upon, the two groups that had not been involved with the war.
I can do all things through Christ who stengthens me.

SlasherEpoch
Legendary

#3 Postby SlasherEpoch » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:09 pm

I think the Horsemen showed up in those particular spots because those places had some kind of mystical significance to them. That's my best guess.

Fuzyfeet
Seasoned

#4 Postby Fuzyfeet » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:19 pm

Honestly with Death's exploits, who would be left to report them...? We are talking Death, a being that can kill anyone by pointing at them. :lol:

L3ster
Novice

#5 Postby L3ster » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:12 am

There is always someone left to tell the tale and spread the fear :D

DeathinaBucket
Novice

#6 Postby DeathinaBucket » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:25 am

But, with Death, you would still have something, like, a major population area where everyone was dead with no explicable causes. You would have a trail of death.

All I can picture is Death, galloping out of the Hunting Grounds and into the middle of Death Valley. She looks around, then realizes that, hey, who the heck would build a city right in the middle of one of the least hospitable places on earth? She shrugs her shoulders, then rides off to go visit Boston.

It's nice that she chose a place that puns well with her name, but it doesn't seem to add a whole lot to the narrative. I'm just sayin'.

Fuzyfeet
Seasoned

#7 Postby Fuzyfeet » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:07 pm

That is kinda what happened in Phoenix Az. There is no one living there, and it's said because Death road through. No survivors, sorta, just a massive population of walkin' Dead.

Wendigo1870
Veteran

#8 Postby Wendigo1870 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:31 pm

You can also go for the opposite - information is rife - but probably oh so wrong. Speculations aplenty, but no-one actually knows anything for real. Kinda like us commenting right now on the forum :lol: .
Right after the war, keeping track of factual information was probably secondary to surviving 'till the next day.
There was a 'reason' why the reckoners appeared in the West - because 'it all started here' (the reckoning). Make up a more specific reason if you need one.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
— Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to “Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony”