Caltrops

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

DanOrc
Novice

Caltrops

#1 Postby DanOrc » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:06 pm

Hello hello,

I've been playing around with the notion of caltrops in both a modern-ish and a fantasy setting. (Although, in the fantasy setting, for roleplaying reasons, they'll be Weird Science like gadgets made out of sticks, twine, and a little bit of rock, and will be referred to as Polyhedral Pedo-Penetrators).

Anyone have any idea as to how to handle these? I mean, I imagine it'd be pretty impossible to actually kill someone, but could shake them perhaps (non-lethally I'd imagine), or maybe cause Fatigue damage?

This is what I'm looking at so far... they come in a 2 pound bag, which will cover a Small Burst Template. If they Notice them, (perhaps at a -2 if moving over half their pace or -4 if running?) they can stop immediately and move half-speed through the caltrop field without penalty. If they fail, 2d6 "damage" versus a TN of 4 (adjusted by armor as GM sees fit), with Shaken results as normal, but any "wounds" going to Fatigue instead?

I'm kind of at a loss here as to how to handle these intelligently and keep them FFF. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

SlasherEpoch
Legendary

#2 Postby SlasherEpoch » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:29 pm

How about:
A bag of caltrops creates Difficult Terrain in a Small Burst Template.

EASY!

jamused
Seasoned

#3 Postby jamused » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:33 pm

No reason not to have iron caltrops in a fantasy setting (unless iron is unknown), they existed historically back as far as 331 BC. I think they were most useful against cavalry.

I'd go something like: Caltrops count as Difficult Ground. Mounted Troops must make a Riding roll (with the -2 Difficult Ground Penalty) every round or lose control of their mount. If they were moving at less than half the mount's pace, the mount is shaken; if they were moving at more than half the mount's pace, they actually have to roll on the Out of Control table.

Clint
Site Admin

#4 Postby Clint » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:55 pm

Maybe...

Move through area at half base Pace safely.
Normal Pace requires an Notice roll or be Shaken; a 1 on the Trait die means gaining a level of (Bumps and Bruises) Fatigue.
Running requires a Notice roll at -2.

To use the caltops make a Smarts (to place) or Throwing (to throw of course) roll. On a raise, Notice rolls to avoid are at an additional -2 penalty.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Karnaze
Seasoned

#5 Postby Karnaze » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:22 pm

I like Clint's idea and maybe add...

Move through area at half base Pace safely.
Normal Pace requires an Notice roll or be Shaken; a 1 on the Trait die means gaining a level of (Bumps and Bruises) Fatigue.

A critical failure on the notice roll means that the character stepped squarely on a caltrop and as a result of jerking their foot up, has fallen into the covered area. The character takes 2d4 dmg.

Running requires a Notice roll at -2.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”