[Slipstream] No love for Psionics?

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

TheLoremaster
Legendary

[Slipstream] No love for Psionics?

#1 Postby TheLoremaster » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:11 pm

One thing I noticed in Slipstream is that there's lots of Edges for Weird Scientists to take, but none really for Psionicists. Why is that? The science guys can pick from:
  • Chemist
  • Finely Tuned
  • Genius
  • Super Scientist
  • Tinkerer
but there's no Edges specifically for Psionics. Why is that?

It's easy to change some of the requirements to use the same Edges for Psionics, but I was wondering why there is a difference and if there's any balance issues I need to look out for if I make that change.
"Your GM is metagaming ... and wrong!"

Wiggy
Legendary

Re: [Slipstream] No love for Psionics?

#2 Postby Wiggy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:18 pm

TheLoremaster wrote:One thing I noticed in Slipstream is that there's lots of Edges for Weird Scientists to take, but none really for Psionicists. Why is that? The science guys can pick from:
  • Chemist
  • Finely Tuned
  • Genius
  • Super Scientist
  • Tinkerer
but there's no Edges specifically for Psionics. Why is that?

It's easy to change some of the requirements to use the same Edges for Psionics, but I was wondering why there is a difference and if there's any balance issues I need to look out for if I make that change.

Short answer: Psionics wasn't a big part of the setting in my mind, but Weird Science was.
Wiggy
Creative Director Triple Ace Games

TheLoremaster
Legendary

#3 Postby TheLoremaster » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:53 pm

Wiggy wrote:Short answer: Psionics wasn't a big part of the setting in my mind, but Weird Science was.

I can dig it. Didn't know if it was a book space issue or balance or what. I know that Psionics gets access to far more powers than Weird Science does, so I thought it might have to do with balance, but I wasn't sure.

I think I might just write up a parallel Edge for the Psionic side, just in case. There's an NPC that claims to be able to make psi-crystals, and I want to be prepared in case the Psionic PC wants the same ability.

Clint
Site Admin

#4 Postby Clint » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:24 pm

TheLoremaster wrote:but there's no Edges specifically for Psionics.

Actually, there are about 8 in a certain sense; they're the new Powers added for Psionics since that kind of creates 8 new versions of the New Power Edge.

Also, yeah, like you said, Weird Science has limits on the available powers, so it's pretty balanced as is. Plus, giving Psionics access to the same Edges (effectively) as Weird Science makes the ABs lose some of their uniqueness.

Still, making a psi-crystal isn't anything any of the Weird Science Edges could do for its own AB, so I think something like that (designed properly) should keep the ABs unique and work if the player wants something of their own.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

TheLoremaster
Legendary

#5 Postby TheLoremaster » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:53 am

Clint wrote:Still, making a psi-crystal isn't anything any of the Weird Science Edges could do for its own AB, so I think something like that (designed properly) should keep the ABs unique and work if the player wants something of their own.

'Xactly. There's the verisimilitude factor too: if there's no way to create Psionic items, where'd they all come from? While you can just say, "Aliens did it", that's unsatisfying. Being able to say that there are specific Edges that let you build them makes more sense, IMO.

chugosh
Veteran

#6 Postby chugosh » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 pm

But would edges be the way to go?

Perhaps the formation of a psicrystal isn't something one may do just by having the edge of it. It would be much more fun, I think to have a nice little (or big) side trek to go through the ordeals and proceedures, with of course opposition by certain natural forces and agents of the Empire. Not an edge to it, just the knowin of where to go and what to do.

TheLoremaster
Legendary

#7 Postby TheLoremaster » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:02 pm

chugosh wrote:Perhaps the formation of a psicrystal isn't something one may do just by having the edge of it. It would be much more fun, I think to have a nice little (or big) side trek to go through the ordeals and proceedures, with of course opposition by certain natural forces and agents of the Empire. Not an edge to it, just the knowin of where to go and what to do.

Kinda where I'm heading. One of the campaign sub-plots involves obtaining psychic relics and hiding them from Anathraxa, with payment being in the form of psychic relics of their own. I already have the group heading to Akwas to harvest specific crystals that "can only be found in one place on the fragment". But once they get them, how do they go from being basic crystals to being psi-crystals? How much does it cost? How long does it take? Can we do that?

Just trying to head off the inevitable questions... :)

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”