Best rifle to use with a bayonet?

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Lord Ben
Seasoned

Best rifle to use with a bayonet?

#1 Postby Lord Ben » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:31 pm

A player is making a new character, he's going to take the fighting (rifle) aptitude so he can make the bayonet/stock bash combo attack. What's the best rifle to use with this? I'd be okay with even some ones that aren't statted out in Deadlands.

A winchester is an obvious choice, but just would look dumb with a bayonet I think....

mad monkey
Novice

#2 Postby mad monkey » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:21 pm

Not sure but I think the Spencer repeating rifle had a bayonet lug and could use a bayonet. Trapdoor Springfield for sure. Heck tell him to use a Martini-henri. :)

cdwjava
Novice

#3 Postby cdwjava » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:41 pm

The Enfield P53 rifled musket of the Civil War with it's effectively wicked three-groove bayonet is very effective:

Nine and a half pounds, single shot, .577 caliber, 39 inch barrel (about 54 inches overall), graduated sights from 900 to 1250 yards, and an effective range for a decent marksman of about 600 yards. It sported the standard 17 inch tri-groove bayonet giving it adequate reach as a melee weapon.

In all, this was a decent weapon for a marksman, and allowed an infantryman to engage a foe at about 5 feet away.

- Carl

Lord Ben
Seasoned

#4 Postby Lord Ben » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:27 am

That's an awesome rifle. Too bad it's a musket though.

Spencer is a good idea. The one he's thinking of now is a Chassepot, only it has a leather sleeve on the stock that holds 8 bullets and they can be speed loaded from there as a free action. It's not better than the other rifles really, just a lot better image IMHO.

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”