Harrowed and various poisons/diseases

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Lord Ben
Seasoned

Harrowed and various poisons/diseases

#1 Postby Lord Ben » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:09 pm

I assume they're immune to diseases and poisons but nothing specifically says anywhere.

oddtail
Seasoned

#2 Postby oddtail » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:24 am

It does.

They're dead. You can't poison someone who is dead. Neither can they get sick. And it IS specifically said that the Manitou keeps the body from rotting and otherwise decomposing. And rotting is pretty much the only "disease" that a dead body needs to worry about.

Also, the Harrowed power, don't remember the name, that allows you to get people sick specifically explains that the Harrowed's body, even when using the power, is not actually "sick", it just carries the disease.

Of course, if a poison or sickness is supernatural, all bets are off. But even Black Magic spells like Contagion would not work on a Harrowed, unless they're specifically *designed* for "killing" dead dudes.
Can't think of anything smart/funny right now, sorry.

horrorman009
Seasoned

#3 Postby horrorman009 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:52 pm

Most bloodborne pathogens will not work on harrowed simply because they don't really have blood in them any more. It's more like icker, like a black sap.
"Remember me as you walk by. As you are now so once was I. As I am now so you must be. Prepare for death and follow me." -Jed Ashbury "Riding for the Brand"

jamiemalk
Novice

#4 Postby jamiemalk » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:31 pm

From a less scientific and more thematic point of view, Poisons no, diseases no...
But i would alow anything that can be caught from a dead body be carried around and transmited by a harrowed, who would be totally unaware of the burden they were carrying...

Wendigo1870
Veteran

#5 Postby Wendigo1870 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:45 pm

They'd probably be more susceptible to 'new' problems which can be considered 'diseases' by the undead.
For example, flies laying eggs in them, larvae which then feed on necrotic flesh, ... other scavengers, attracted by the rotting walking meatsack, ...
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
— Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Lord Ben
Seasoned

#6 Postby Lord Ben » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:42 pm

But the coup power of the snake cloud is to be immune to poisons...

That doesn't make sense if harrowed already are immune.

Wendigo1870
Veteran

#7 Postby Wendigo1870 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:17 pm

Lord Ben wrote:That doesn't make sense if harrowed already are immune.
You're right, it doesn't make sense.
But so does the rest of the world :wink: . Probably a game design slip-up.
In HoE anyone can count coup, not just Harrowed, so it would have it's uses there.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

— Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Lord Ben
Seasoned

#8 Postby Lord Ben » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:24 pm

I think I'm just going to say that besides death poison works like normal. The Manitou keeps the body working but poison affects the muscles and stuff so maybe they'd still be affected. Not sure, but to decide they're just flat out immune takes a lot of interesting monsters off the table.

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Harrowed and various poisons/diseases

#9 Postby Clint » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:33 am

Lord Ben wrote:I assume they're immune to diseases and poisons but nothing specifically says anywhere.

Depends on what book you are looking at. It does specifically say in Reloaded that Harrowed are immune to normal poisons and diseases.

Not sure what book the snake cloud is in, but it could provide immunity to non-normal poisons as well.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”