Taking Your TIme

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

voidstate
Seasoned

Taking Your TIme

#1 Postby voidstate » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:20 am

Are there any rules in SW for taking your time with a job? Something equivilent to the DnD 3e taking 10 and taking 20 rules, perhaps?
50 Fathoms AP: swashbuckling, slave girls, peg-leg dwarves, it's got it all
Freeport AP: Skulduggery in Freeport
ActualPlay.com: find/post APs

DerFinsterling
Legendary

#2 Postby DerFinsterling » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:32 am

I don't have the book in front of me, but, IIRC, not really.

Some things just take a certain amount of time (healing skill comes to mind).

If a character takes extra time and extra care, he pretty much maximes his chances. Take the breaking things section in the rulebook: If you want to break down a door in a hurry - you need to roll.
If you have all the time in the world (and tools) you simply succeed after the GM says that enough time has passed.

Same kind of thing you can use for other situations. Say the players are searching a room and you tell them it takes 10 minutes to search it. They are in a hurry and want to half the time - you give them a -2 to their Notice roll.
They have all the time in the world and will slip open mattresses and stuff - give them a +2 or +4.

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Taking Your TIme

#3 Postby Clint » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:43 am

voidstate wrote:Are there any rules in SW for taking your time with a job? Something equivilent to the DnD 3e taking 10 and taking 20 rules, perhaps?

Well, if you have more time, just reroll, and if time isn't an issue at all, there's no real reason to roll at all as success will eventually occur.

Or optionally (as noted in another thread) reverse the cause and effect, roll normally, but the result determines how long the effort takes like...

Failure takes a long time
Success takes a normal amount of time
Raise takes a short time

Or finally to get as close as possible, just apply a situational modifier (page 56) based on how the extra time makes it easier. Off the top of my head, it could be something like...

+1 bonus = Twice as long and no other actions possible
+2 bonus = 10x as long and no other actions possible
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

steelbrok
Veteran

#4 Postby steelbrok » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:29 am

voidstate, I read your campaign log and I'd just like to say I found it hilarious

voidstate
Seasoned

#5 Postby voidstate » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:37 am

steelbrok wrote:voidstate, I read your campaign log and I'd just like to say I found it hilarious

Thanks! It was the funniest campaign I've ever run. Loads of each session was spent nearly crying with laughter. Also, if you ever run 50 Fathoms, I'd recommend buying The Pyrates by George MacDonald Fraser. It provided a whole load of cliches to milk (my players provided the rest).
50 Fathoms AP: swashbuckling, slave girls, peg-leg dwarves, it's got it all

Freeport AP: Skulduggery in Freeport

ActualPlay.com: find/post APs

Tristram
Novice

#6 Postby Tristram » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:31 pm

For taking time I use the Aim rule. If a character takes extra time to do something well and isn't interupted then they get +2 to their roll. This is only if it is a roll that wouldn't be automatic given enough time. Lockpicking, tracking, repair, notice, and climbing are examples I could use. If a PC takes his time he gets a bonus but if he fails it may just be something he is incapable of doing even with all the time in the world.

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#7 Postby Sitting Duck » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:40 am

voidstate wrote:
steelbrok wrote:voidstate, I read your campaign log and I'd just like to say I found it hilarious

Thanks! It was the funniest campaign I've ever run. Loads of each session was spent nearly crying with laughter. Also, if you ever run 50 Fathoms, I'd recommend buying The Pyrates by George MacDonald Fraser. It provided a whole load of cliches to milk (my players provided the rest).

I second that. It has been descibed as being like Captain Blood directed by Mel Brooks and starring the Monty Python gang. An accurate assessment. In fact, I could see the pawn shop guy as the obligatory Mel Brooks cameo.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”