Disguise

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Sunwolf
Seasoned

Disguise

#1 Postby Sunwolf » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:44 pm

How would you do it?

I can see using Persuasion, but that would fit more for convincing someone you are who you appear to be.
What if you’re just trying to blend in? Is that using Stealth to avoid being noticed?

Which leads to...

Master of Disguise (Edge)
Requirements: ?

Thoughts?
First rule of SW conversions: Convert the Setting, not the rules.

Second rule, don't forget the trappings

Rule #6: If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

DaRealJudas
Seasoned
Location: Officially Bremen, Germany but mostly my own little world inside my head (soo peaceful & pretty)

#2 Postby DaRealJudas » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:17 pm

I'm not sure if you'll need an extra Edge for that. You're right with the usage of Persuasion and Stealth so Thief and Charismatic will just do perfectly.
"So, how much Experience do I get for the bard?"

Adam Baulderstone
Seasoned

#3 Postby Adam Baulderstone » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:43 pm

I would say a straight Stealth roll would work fine for blending into a crowd.

As to actively disguising yourself, I would use Persuasion opposed by Notice. I would apply penalties based on the observers familiarity with the subject (between -6 to fool a close friend or family member, to -2 to fool a casual aquaintence). -2 is the default for the easy check, as it should be easier to give the Notice check an advantage. It should be easier to see through a disguise then to use one.

Obviously you could lower the penalties for a pulpier setting. You could also give bonuses if the disguised person has had time to rehearse the role.

The you can add edges to offset the penalties.

Disguise Artist
Requirements: Novice, Persuasion d8

+2 to Persuasion checks to Disguise yourself

Master of Disguise
Requirements: Seasoned, Disguise Artist

+4 to Persuasion checks to Disguise yourself.

This means anyone can make an attempt to disguise themselves, but you have to take edges to be truly good at it.

The Vulture
Seasoned

#4 Postby The Vulture » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:00 am

Something ought to be said for the quality of the disguise, particularly if you're just trying to escape detection in general. A fake mustache would be +1 to Stealth, while something real elaborate (false gait, haircut and dye, etc) would be more like +6. Just my thought.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!

Wendigo1870
Veteran

#5 Postby Wendigo1870 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:41 am

Depends on your 'disguise kit', which is like a tool kit. Without the kit, you're at -2 (like working without tools), but only when you try to look like someone else, not when changing your general appearance. With an ordinary kit (fake hair & moustache, hat & glasses, ...) you don't have a penalty. With a professional kit (used by spy agencies and the like, with fake skins/faces, lenses, ...), add +2 to +4, depending on the time spent changing your looks.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
— Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Sunwolf
Seasoned

#6 Postby Sunwolf » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:29 am

Thanks for the replys everyone.

I like the quality of the disguise and the toolkit idea, makes a lot of sense. Edges look good too.

From the response so far I assume that the general consensus is Persuasion to pass yourself off as the disguised person and Stealth to determine if the disguise is spotted by casual observation.

However modifiers from things like Thief, Woodsman or Obscure would not necessarily apply.

I think that'll work. It definitely stays FFF.

Thanks again for the thoughts.
First rule of SW conversions: Convert the Setting, not the rules.

Second rule, don't forget the trappings

Rule #6: If violence wasn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

steelbrok
Veteran

#7 Postby steelbrok » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:53 am

I'd be inclined to roll the Notice skill of the observer and apply any modifiers based on kits etc to that roll

DerFinsterling
Legendary

#8 Postby DerFinsterling » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:49 am

The Vulture wrote:A fake mustache would be +1 to Stealth

And a bad fake mustache might as well give a -4 to Stealth. ;-)

Sitting Duck
Legendary

#9 Postby Sitting Duck » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:13 am

Sunwolf wrote:However modifiers from things like Thief, Woodsman or Obscure would not necessarily apply.

I think it could easily be argued that the bonus from Thief could be applied to Stealth rolls involving disguises.
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer

Lord Inar
Heroic

#10 Postby Lord Inar » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:17 pm

DerFinsterling wrote:And a bad fake mustache might as well give a -4 to Stealth. ;-)

He knows! Just look at his avatar!

Adam Baulderstone
Seasoned

#11 Postby Adam Baulderstone » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 am

Lord Inar wrote:
DerFinsterling wrote:And a bad fake mustache might as well give a -4 to Stealth. ;-)

He knows! Just look at his avatar!

Yeah, well your not fooling anyone with that phony Santa Claus beard, Lord Inar, if that is your real name. I can see the elastic from here.

Lord Inar
Heroic

#12 Postby Lord Inar » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:03 am

Adam Baulderstone wrote:Yeah, well your not fooling anyone with that phony Santa Claus beard, Lord Inar, if that is your real name. I can see the elastic from here.

No, no. THIS is a fake beard:

Lord Lance
Heroic

#13 Postby Lord Lance » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:09 am

:mrgreen: LOL!

(Spam post!!!!)

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”