[S. Skies]

Discussion of products from companies licensed to produce SW products. Company specific threads should be marked with their name in brackets.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Lysander
Seasoned

[S. Skies]

#1 Postby Lysander » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:13 pm

Okay, I've been invited to possibly play in a 'skies' campaign. Nothing set in stone, but apparently in the works.

I don't know anything about the setting. I mostly play fantasy genre with a little d20 'space opera' thrown in there.

Without giving much away, what can I expect? The more I know, the better my 1st character will be. and since i'm not 100% on the campaign starting, I want to hold off on the $15 for the players guide until I know more.

I wasn't able to find any 'pre-gens' to help me get the flavor down, so I have some questions:

Specifically:

It looks like gunpowder level weapon technology, or is there heavier stuff?

More prominent, Priest or Arcane?

Glowmadness - this is a opposed spirit roll I take it?

Psionics - allowed?

Importance of:
A) Guts
B) Investigation

Skyships rely more on Boating or Piloting (or both somehow?)

Something I came across looked cool: 'Sons of Spire.' What can one expect with these folks?

Thanks in advance for any information on any or all of these topics...
There is no problem in this Universe that can't be solved with the application of roasted porcine flesh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSReSGe200A

Clint
Site Admin

#2 Postby Clint » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:48 pm

Since Skies is now a TAG setting, moved this to the licensee section.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Demonicuss Krinn
Seasoned

#3 Postby Demonicuss Krinn » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:53 pm

Well, I'll try to help you out.

Sundered Skies is somewhat fantasy-esque, with a bit of naval flair (only instead of riding ships across the sea, you fly them across the Void). The standard fantasy races are present, with some twists (Elves, for instance, are part plant).

Guns - Flintlock firearms are available, along with cannons for ships.

Arcane Backgrounds - the only three available in the Skies are Sorcery, Priests, and Engineers (Weird Science). As for prominence, I think they're mostly equal.

Glowmadness - Yep, it's a Spirit roll.

Guts - Needed, as some of the foes are Fear inducing.

Ships - use Boating.

Sons of Spire - Spire was an island that was destroyed when it crashed into another island. The Sons of Spire are a group of surviving sorcerer/astronomers who watch to try to prevent another island collision.

Think that should help you out.

Lysander
Seasoned

#4 Postby Lysander » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:30 pm

Would this be a viable character:

A human who has arcane abilities, but tries to hide them from everybody.

He can heal (cold/hypothermia trapping), Casts bolts of ice, and has elemental manip (water).

He is hunted by a small group that knows he has the ability to 'conjur water', so he has sought the protection of the Sons of Spire, who help him learn to use his powers, and in return, sail the skies and help them by reporting any unusual things that may interest them.

I was thinking about obtaining the edge 'arcane resistance' but focused toward resisting glowmadness (not sure if it would normally...)

Would need some tweaking, but that's what I got so far...
There is no problem in this Universe that can't be solved with the application of roasted porcine flesh...

WickedRoland
Seasoned

#5 Postby WickedRoland » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:12 pm

Well just to elaborate on one of your first questions and make sure it's clear..Glowmad rolls are spirit rolls. but not Opposed roll. They are just verses TN 4 although various things can give penalties.

As for your arcane caster. Healing isnt a power available to them in Sundered Skies.

I'd disagree with Krinn. there are 7 different AB:Miracle backgrounds to choose from and the AB:Weird Science also counts as a priest so priests are more predominant I would say.

I don't think arcane resistance helps against glowmadness but there is a Glowmad resistant edge.

Aramus Daimorgul
Seasoned

#6 Postby Aramus Daimorgul » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:57 pm

I am playing in a game of this right now and I have a sorcerer who utilizes the "ice/cold" trapping. He is from the Draining Sea and fancies himself a noble (even though he is not).

We don't use Guts in our game just Spirit however YMMV.

You can gain a fair number of bonuses to your spirit rolls via just staying inside, most vessels, we determined, are almost entirely enclosed so you can limit your exposure to less than an hour pretty easily giving you +2 (only fail on a 1 and don't forget your wild die). Glowmadness resistance would really help though, glowmadness is a constant threat in the setting. Extras are very susceptible to it.

Investigation is not as useful, but wow Streetwise is extremely useful at least pick up 1 rank in that.
Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream of things that never were and say, "Why not?"
- Bernard Shaw

Lysander
Seasoned

#7 Postby Lysander » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:37 pm

I've veered toward a tinkerer of sorts:

He/she is person who is lame, but has the AB: Weird Science and has developed what is essentially 'boots of speed' so he can go from 4 pace to 8 with the click of a button (hopefully). She/He has Macgyver and a would hire on as a fixer of sorts for ships. Throw in a few Fighting and Shooting levels, some Boating and I think I have something. I'll remember to throw in a bit of streetwise.

Not sure what a good race would be, perhaps a dwarf who worked on their steamships?

anyhow... Waiting for the proposed GM to 'clear the deck' of RL committments and then get going.

Return to “SW Licensees”