New owner can't find something in SWEX

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Kihu
Novice

New owner can't find something in SWEX

#1 Postby Kihu » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:58 pm

Hi everyone,

I just picked up the SWEX and I can't seem to find any where that gives guidelines for how many bad guys you throw at players.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Savage Jason
Heroic

#2 Postby Savage Jason » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:07 pm

There really aren't any such guidelines in Savage Worlds, actually. It really comes down to "feel", and how many bad guys the GM realistically thinks should be present, and whether or not the enemies are wild cards or extras.

You can pile extras on the players. I try not to have more than 2 per PC, but I'm a bit of a softie. Of course, some extras are nastier than others, especially if they have monstrous abilities.

Wild cards are a totally different story, it comes down to how potent you want them to be and your design decisions when statting them up. I don't think I've ever had more than one wild card per PC in a combat situation.

Clint, the rules guru, also has an estimate guide based on damage output. It might be hosted on the Pinnacle site, as this question comes up semi-regularly, but I can't remember.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb." - G Rodriguez

Kihu
Novice

#3 Postby Kihu » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:36 pm

Thanks for the quick reply and the guidelines you use. Also I'll try and find the resource that Clint wrote, if anyone has that link handy though that would be great.

Savage Jason
Heroic

#4 Postby Savage Jason » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:43 pm

If it's anything, it's the "Training Wheels Guide" in the downloads section. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to load right now. You might have better luck.
"Better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb." - G Rodriguez

GreenTongue
Heroic

#5 Postby GreenTongue » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:50 pm

Well there is this topic that may help ...
What every new Savage GM should know?
http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17493
=

Clint
Site Admin

#6 Postby Clint » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:51 pm

It's on the forums in the archives. In fact, I just updated it at the first of the month; here's a direct link...

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=219169&highlight=damage+rating#219169
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

SlasherEpoch
Legendary

#7 Postby SlasherEpoch » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:03 pm

Usually? A Wild Card can handle at least one Extra with d6s in everything and whatever standard equipment is for soldiers in your era.

Kihu
Novice

#8 Postby Kihu » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:34 pm

Thanks Clint and GreenTongue for the links and thanks for the guideline SlasherEpoch.

Seems like a nice community around here. Thanks for the help!

kjamma4
Novice

Re: New owner can't find something in SWEX

#9 Postby kjamma4 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:36 pm

Kihu wrote:I just picked up the SWEX and I can't seem to find any where that gives guidelines for how many bad guys you throw at players.

Ignore all the bad advice previously given. The correct answer is, "As many as it takes to kill them."

:wink:

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”