Why not more science fiction?

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

siefertma
Seasoned

Why not more science fiction?

#1 Postby siefertma » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:41 pm

As much as I appreciate Slipstream, most of the savage settings, both from Pinncale and the licensees have been pulp or fantasy. Why haven't we seen anyone come out with a honest to goodness sci-fi setting? (And don't get me started on "Red Rising.")

Is there anything in the pipeline that I have missed?
Be Aggressive,
Mark A. Siefert

Visit No School Like The Old School: http://noschoololdschoolgames.blogspot.com/

Snate56
Legendary

#2 Postby Snate56 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:36 am

Well, give them a chance, the next hit in this trilogy of terror will be Weird War II and then they'll probably sleep for a week solid, after that...
Oh, wait: the printing of the tool kits.

Somewhere in there we might get an inkling of what's on the horizon.

TAG just re-launched Necropolis

I like sci fi too, although I'm one of the few who didn't really look forward to Red Rising. But I be patient.

SteveN
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

siefertma
Seasoned

#3 Postby siefertma » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:47 pm

I'd forgotten all about Necropolis.

I guess what I'm looking for is a good space opera or hardish-sci-fi setting.
Be Aggressive,

Mark A. Siefert

Visit No School Like The Old School: http://noschoololdschoolgames.blogspot.com/

Alan
Veteran

#4 Postby Alan » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:02 am

Well it might not be quite the same but the toolkits are available which should take a lot of the sting out of creating your own or converting some particular setting you are taken with - be it rpg tv show, comic or other.
Time will tell. She always does.
Follow Savage Mojo on Twitter.

C.A.Pryde
Seasoned

#5 Postby C.A.Pryde » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:30 am

Necropolis is "hardish," although it sounds like the lack of space ships is probably what you are missing. But it would definitely be worth your time to eyeball a copy of the new hardback at your FLGS. The new artwork and the few changes really speak to the sci-fi element of the setting.

blusponge
Heroic

#6 Postby blusponge » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:51 am

Well remember its not just about Pinnacle saying, "hey, let's publish a hard sci-fi setting." I mean, Red Rising has been in the can for how long now? It's about coming up with a compelling and distinguished setting, something a bit more than warmed over Traveller. And then they have to develop a plot point campaign.

So as to why there haven't been more? Probably because fantasy is the bigger seller, and Pinnacle has been juggling a lot of properties already. Now that the licensees program has been opened up, I expect we'll see a few more options.

Myself, I don't have a craving for anything but Star Frontiers with the serial numbers filed off. Sounds sad, but that's what I really want. So I expect the Sci-Fi toolkits or companion would handle my sci-fi needs just fine.

Tom
...and a Brace of Pistols
a blog dedicated to swashbuckling, horror and fantasy gaming

zeth
Veteran

#7 Postby zeth » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:16 pm

There was a setting somewhere where you played space police busting up an intergalactic drug ring. But I can't seem to find the name or pdf it was in. It was a home brew and on savage heroes I think.

The GIT!
Heroic

#8 Postby The GIT! » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:32 pm

I know you've probably already had a look at this but, just in case you haven't, this document does a pretty good job of helping to convert Classic Traveller over to Savage Worlds (although I don't think it is optimised for SWEX).

Red-24 Savage Traveller

PEGShane
Site Admin

#9 Postby PEGShane » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:06 pm

Ding!

Thanks, BluSponge.

Shane

BluSponge wrote:Well remember its not just about Pinnacle saying, "hey, let's publish a hard sci-fi setting." I mean, Red Rising has been in the can for how long now? It's about coming up with a compelling and distinguished setting, something a bit more than warmed over Traveller. And then they have to develop a plot point campaign.

So as to why there haven't been more? Probably because fantasy is the bigger seller, and Pinnacle has been juggling a lot of properties already. Now that the licensees program has been opened up, I expect we'll see a few more options.

Myself, I don't have a craving for anything but Star Frontiers with the serial numbers filed off. Sounds sad, but that's what I really want. So I expect the Sci-Fi toolkits or companion would handle my sci-fi needs just fine.

Tom

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”