Me... again.

This is the topic for asking questions about how the core rules officially work. Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Red Mercy
Seasoned

Me... again.

#1 Postby Red Mercy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:45 pm

As usual, thanks for answering my questions. I know I have a lot of 'em. Fortunately, I'm getting this thing figured out pretty well, so it' only a matter of time before I'm an expert ;)
Anyway, three more questions:

First of all, I noticed that, with heavier armor, nothing is stated in the way of penalities to certain actions where the armor's weight may be a factor (such as climbing, swimming, even spellcasting, etc.) My take is to apply penalities on the fly, such as perhaps a -4 for a character to swim while wearing plate. And that seems to work pretty well, but I'm just wondering if there's a more concrete way of figuring this out.

Secondly, with regards to the "raise (lower) trait" spell -- does learning this spell allow you to affect any trait with just the one spell, or do you need to take this power each time for each trait you wish to be able to affect? i.e., once to be able to raise str, another for fighting, and so on.

Finally, looking at certain enemies in the game... I'm assuming that, unless otherwise stated, they do do bonus damage if they hit with a raise just like players can. However, certain creatures have other effects -- for example, a dire wolf that hits the target's least-armored location. Is this effect applied in addition to the 1d6 bonus damage, or instead of it?
As usual, thanks!

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Me... again.

#2 Postby Clint » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:21 pm

Red Mercy wrote:As usual, thanks for answering my questions. I know I have a lot of 'em. Fortunately, I'm getting this thing figured out pretty well, so it' only a matter of time before I'm an expert ;)

Happens to us all sooner or later! ;)

Red Mercy wrote:First of all, I noticed that, with heavier armor, nothing is stated in the way of penalities to certain actions where the armor's weight may be a factor (such as climbing, swimming, even spellcasting, etc.) My take is to apply penalities on the fly, such as perhaps a -4 for a character to swim while wearing plate. And that seems to work pretty well, but I'm just wondering if there's a more concrete way of figuring this out.

Look at page 10, under Gear and Encumbrance. Under that it discusses how to figure a character's Load Limit. This is the amount of weight they can carry with no penalty. Each additional increment of this amount inflicts a penalty on all Strength and Agility based rolls (including skills linked to them).

Spellcasting and arcane skills (unless somehow linked to Strength or Agility) are not adversely affected by encumbrance by the standard rules. Still, doesn't lead to as many "wizards in plate mail" as is sometimes expected; the inherent penalties and character limitations tend to keep it in check quite well.

Red Mercy wrote:Secondly, with regards to the "raise (lower) trait" spell -- does learning this spell allow you to affect any trait with just the one spell, or do you need to take this power each time for each trait you wish to be able to affect? i.e., once to be able to raise str, another for fighting, and so on.

The one power can affect any Trait. The caster just decides which one they want to affect when casting.

And to go with the usual follow-up question... ;)

No, it's not nearly as powerful as it may seem in actual use, but it is a nice power.

[P.S. General chat has a thread where some people are discussing variants of this power.]

Red Mercy wrote:Finally, looking at certain enemies in the game... I'm assuming that, unless otherwise stated, they do do bonus damage if they hit with a raise just like players can. However, certain creatures have other effects -- for example, a dire wolf that hits the target's least-armored location. Is this effect applied in addition to the 1d6 bonus damage, or instead of it?

It's in addition.

Every attacker gets the +1d6 for a raise on their attack roll (if the attack itself allows it, for instance, Area Effect attacks do not get the bonus damage)' special abilities like Go For The Throat are in addition to that bonus damage (unless it should specifically say it replaces it).

Hope this helps. As usual, if anything isn't clear, just let me know.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work”