All Rules Questions for the Sci-Fi Toolkit Series

This topic is for rules questions related to products from Pinnacle outside the core rulebook (Settings, Companions, etc.). Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
MightyCthulhu
Seasoned
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:13 pm

All Rules Questions for the Sci-Fi Toolkit Series

#1 Postby MightyCthulhu » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:36 pm

Wiggy,
Each ICE in the SFTK is given the Investigation skill. I can't find a reference to how an ICE would use the skill, and the skill description in the core book is not much help. Can you describe what you had in mind?

I envision the ICE probing the Persona with Investigation to gain their Identity but that does not seem to be the spirit of the skill in the core book...

User avatar
Wiggy
Legendary
Posts: 5813
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:15 am
Location: TAG me. I dare you!

Re: All Rules Questions for the Sci-Fi Toolkit Series

#2 Postby Wiggy » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:49 pm

MightyCthulhu wrote:Wiggy,
Each ICE in the SFTK is given the Investigation skill. I can't find a reference to how an ICE would use the skill, and the skill description in the core book is not much help. Can you describe what you had in mind?

I envision the ICE probing the Persona with Investigation to gain their Identity but that does not seem to be the spirit of the skill in the core book...


D'OH! Intimidation, not Investigation.


Wiggy
Wiggy
Creative Director Triple Ace Games

User avatar
Lord Abaddon of Wormwood
Seasoned
Posts: 471
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:55 am

#3 Postby Lord Abaddon of Wormwood » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:28 pm

Wiggy how easily does The toolkit plug and play with Modern Ops?


Lord Abaddon of Wormwood

User avatar
Wiggy
Legendary
Posts: 5813
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:15 am
Location: TAG me. I dare you!

#4 Postby Wiggy » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:21 am

Lord Abaddon of Wormwood wrote:Wiggy how easily does The toolkit plug and play with Modern Ops?

Lord Abaddon of Wormwood


Well, Modern Ops is a Skirmish game and the SFTK is for SW, so there are differences. The SFTK was never written with MO in mind, either.

A small hammer and a crowbar should so the job though.


Wiggy
Wiggy

Creative Director Triple Ace Games

Devcon001
Seasoned
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 7:22 pm

#5 Postby Devcon001 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:23 am

Hey Wiggy,

First of all, great work! I can see a lot of things in there I can use in my games. (Mech section.... ****drool***** )

Second, the question. The intro text in the SF Gear TK mentions (3rd paragraph)...

"This book is devoted to sci-fi gear. With it, you can introduce new forms of armor and weapons, starships, vehicles, cyberware, and mechs. There’s even guidance on using time travel."

Well, I looked and I looked but I didn't see anything on that subject. Did it get lost on the curtting room floor? Or maybe it's someting we can expect to see in the World Builder's TK?

User avatar
Wiggy
Legendary
Posts: 5813
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:15 am
Location: TAG me. I dare you!

#6 Postby Wiggy » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:30 am

Devcon001 wrote:Hey Wiggy,

First of all, great work! I can see a lot of things in there I can use in my games. (Mech section.... ****drool***** )

Second, the question. The intro text in the SF Gear TK mentions (3rd paragraph)...

"This book is devoted to sci-fi gear. With it, you can introduce new forms of armor and weapons, starships, vehicles, cyberware, and mechs. There’s even guidance on using time travel."

Well, I looked and I looked but I didn't see anything on that subject. Did it get lost on the curtting room floor? Or maybe it's someting we can expect to see in the World Builder's TK?


Time Travel got snipped into the World Builder because it wasn't really Gear - just a discourse on the fun (and nightmares) you can have with time travel.


Wiggy
Wiggy

Creative Director Triple Ace Games

User avatar
Red-24
Seasoned
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:23 am
Location: Victoria, B.C. Canada
Contact:

#7 Postby Red-24 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:15 am

Hey Wiggy,

I just read through the sections on Starship construction and Vehicles. I have a couple questions regarding the weapons and armor relative values.

1. For vehicle weapons, none of them are listed as HW. I know the 100 MW laser in the core book is a HW so I am assuming this is an omission. Can you clarify?

2. I was wondering about the rational behind having vehicle Laser cannons with AP of 10, 60, and 100 respectively and tanks with armor of (110, 80, 50) or (70/40/30) versus having Large Battleship spacecraft with armor of only 40. Also, the starship Energy weapons seem underpowered compared with vehicle lasers. So my questions are:

a. Did you intend that Spacecraft fall into a different category of comparison than vehicles so that they are balanced only with themselves?

b. If yes to (a), than how would one scale a battle between Atmospheric starships and vehicles.

That's it for now. I have only have brief moments to look through the two Sci-Fi toolkits, but overall, I like what I see.
Jon "Red-24" Woodland
http://members.shaw.ca/red-24
"You've taken your first step into a larger world" - Old Kenobi

User avatar
Wiggy
Legendary
Posts: 5813
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:15 am
Location: TAG me. I dare you!

#8 Postby Wiggy » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:37 pm

Red-24 wrote:1. For vehicle weapons, none of them are listed as HW. I know the 100 MW laser in the core book is a HW so I am assuming this is an omission. Can you clarify?


Assume anything with AP 4 or higher is a Heavy Weapon.

2. I was wondering about the rational behind having vehicle Laser cannons with AP of 10, 60, and 100 respectively and tanks with armor of (110, 80, 50) or (70/40/30) versus having Large Battleship spacecraft with armor of only 40. Also, the starship Energy weapons seem underpowered compared with vehicle lasers. So my questions are:

a. Did you intend that Spacecraft fall into a different category of comparison than vehicles so that they are balanced only with themselves?


Not really. I just used SW Revised as my base and went from there. You'll note the battleship has Toughness of 80(30) yet the Hovertank's laser does AP 100.

The starship rules as presented are more for hard sci-fi than say Star Wars, so lasers were kept small. If I were writing a sci-fi setting where lasers were common, I'd do things differently, but the TK is just a set of options to give you a starting point to make your own rules.

For instance, I might label the existing weapons as Light Lasers and up the AP 10 and add Heavy Lasers (2 spaces) doing 4d8 & 3d8 damage respectively and AP 30-50. I'd then remove all the ballistic weapons.

Arrays are handy as well. Although AP doesn't change, rolling 7d6 for a group of 4 beam lasers makes the chances of scoring one or more Aces quite likely.

b. If yes to (a), than how would one scale a battle between Atmospheric starships and vehicles.


Although I said "no" above, here's a quick suggestion if you want a different scale.

When going from vehicle to starship scale, halvehe damage and AP. A tank won't do much to hurt a starship, as even a decent damage roll is halved before being applied to Toughness. If a starship wants to blow the crap out of a tank, just double all damage rolls and AP.

That's my 2c, but there isn't a right or wrong way in your setting.


Wiggy
Wiggy

Creative Director Triple Ace Games

User avatar
EHelmers
Seasoned
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:36 pm
Location: Burbank, CA

#9 Postby EHelmers » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:54 pm

I really like both the starship creation rules and the superhero lair rules. How would be the best way to put the two together?

Basically how could you use an edge to purchase your starship as a home base rather than just using the filthy rich edge to buy it out of pocket?

You know for those who dont have any money, but have a ship?


Thanks,
-TED-

User avatar
Lord Abaddon of Wormwood
Seasoned
Posts: 471
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:55 am

#10 Postby Lord Abaddon of Wormwood » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:41 am

Wiggy - I have the Toolkit printed and bound, its very well put together piece of work.

I love Power Armour and am thrilled with the section but came across a editing mistake, please forgive me if its been posted:

Cleanser has no notes - ie the eauipment layout. I think the pretty picture eat the notes.



Lord Abaddon of Wormwood

User avatar
Wiggy
Legendary
Posts: 5813
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:15 am
Location: TAG me. I dare you!

#11 Postby Wiggy » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:38 am

Lord Abaddon of Wormwood wrote:Wiggy - I have the Toolkit printed and bound, its very well put together piece of work.

I love Power Armour and am thrilled with the section but came across a editing mistake, please forgive me if its been posted:

Cleanser has no notes - ie the eauipment layout. I think the pretty picture eat the notes.



Lord Abaddon of Wormwood


We'll be posting that free on the web, along with some other suits which got cut due to space restrictions.


Wiggy
Wiggy

Creative Director Triple Ace Games

User avatar
Wiggy
Legendary
Posts: 5813
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:15 am
Location: TAG me. I dare you!

#12 Postby Wiggy » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:45 am

EHelmers wrote:I really like both the starship creation rules and the superhero lair rules. How would be the best way to put the two together?

Basically how could you use an edge to purchase your starship as a home base rather than just using the filthy rich edge to buy it out of pocket?

You know for those who dont have any money, but have a ship?


Thanks,
-TED-


Whatever way you think is best is best for you. There's no official way. One very, very quick way is to say each Lair Room equates to one starship space.

If you want your superheroes to have a space ship for a lair, either use the NE rules for Vehicles or use the SFGTK Lair rules and buy a space Location. Since it's in space, it has to be some sort of ship or orbiting station.


Wiggy
Wiggy

Creative Director Triple Ace Games

User avatar
JR Kilroy
Novice
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri May 30, 2003 11:13 am
Location: St Petersburg, FL USA

#13 Postby JR Kilroy » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:03 pm

On the Power Armor Table the Chassis table lists "Mods" with a numerical value. The Modifications table lists "Spaces" with a numerical value.

Am I safe in assuming they Mods and Spaces are the same thing for the purposes of power armor?

Thank you!
--Kevin
---------------------------
"I was gripped by the splendor of the Universe, transfixed by the prospect of understanding how things really work, of helping to uncover deep myseries, of exploring new worlds--maybe even literally." --Carl Sagan

User avatar
Wiggy
Legendary
Posts: 5813
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:15 am
Location: TAG me. I dare you!

#14 Postby Wiggy » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:10 am

JR Kilroy wrote:On the Power Armor Table the Chassis table lists "Mods" with a numerical value. The Modifications table lists "Spaces" with a numerical value.

Am I safe in assuming they Mods and Spaces are the same thing for the purposes of power armor?

Thank you!


Yup.


Wiggy
Wiggy

Creative Director Triple Ace Games

User avatar
EHelmers
Seasoned
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:36 pm
Location: Burbank, CA

#15 Postby EHelmers » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:59 pm

Wiggy wrote:
EHelmers wrote:I really like both the starship creation rules and the superhero lair rules. How would be the best way to put the two together?

Basically how could you use an edge to purchase your starship as a home base rather than just using the filthy rich edge to buy it out of pocket?

You know for those who dont have any money, but have a ship?


Thanks,
-TED-


Whatever way you think is best is best for you. There's no official way. One very, very quick way is to say each Lair Room equates to one starship space.

If you want your superheroes to have a space ship for a lair, either use the NE rules for Vehicles or use the SFGTK Lair rules and buy a space Location. Since it's in space, it has to be some sort of ship or orbiting station.


Wiggy



Thanks Wiggy,

Sounds good. Do you think adapting the Lair rules into starships would work for a non-super hero sci-fi game?

-TED-

User avatar
Wiggy
Legendary
Posts: 5813
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:15 am
Location: TAG me. I dare you!

#16 Postby Wiggy » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:54 pm

EHelmers wrote:
Wiggy wrote:
EHelmers wrote:I really like both the starship creation rules and the superhero lair rules. How would be the best way to put the two together?

Basically how could you use an edge to purchase your starship as a home base rather than just using the filthy rich edge to buy it out of pocket?

You know for those who dont have any money, but have a ship?


Thanks,
-TED-


Whatever way you think is best is best for you. There's no official way. One very, very quick way is to say each Lair Room equates to one starship space.

If you want your superheroes to have a space ship for a lair, either use the NE rules for Vehicles or use the SFGTK Lair rules and buy a space Location. Since it's in space, it has to be some sort of ship or orbiting station.


Wiggy



Thanks Wiggy,

Sounds good. Do you think adapting the Lair rules into starships would work for a non-super hero sci-fi game?

-TED-



There's probably not much need to be honest (but it would work). You can just assume that a ship has certain extra rooms based on its purpose. Most military vessels, for instance, will have cells. Deep range explorers may have hydroponics rooms to feed the crew and scrub the air. Most spaceships will have escape pods.


Wiggy
Wiggy

Creative Director Triple Ace Games

User avatar
Noshrok Grimskull
Legendary
Posts: 3835
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:18 pm
Location: I'm out of my mind, but I'll be back later

#17 Postby Noshrok Grimskull » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:08 pm

The low-tech and hi-tech world citizen entry on page 53 of the Bestiary are identical (which I take is intentional), save for their gear. But why do they both have a knife-like weapon when they don't have a Fighting skill? And why do they have Shooting at d4?
Average citizens shouldn't know how to properly handle a gun, so I guess Shooting might be Fighting instead? (Which would raise their Parry, too.)
Or am I way off the beaten track now?
"If you think I'm crazy, you should see the people I'm locked up with." - Steamdriven

"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - The Doctor (Doctor Who)

User avatar
Wiggy
Legendary
Posts: 5813
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:15 am
Location: TAG me. I dare you!

#18 Postby Wiggy » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:39 pm

Noshrok Grimskull wrote:The low-tech and hi-tech world citizen entry on page 53 of the Bestiary are identical (which I take is intentional), save for their gear. But why do they both have a knife-like weapon when they don't have a Fighting skill? And why do they have Shooting at d4?
Average citizens shouldn't know how to properly handle a gun, so I guess Shooting might be Fighting instead? (Which would raise their Parry, too.)
Or am I way off the beaten track now?


Yup, it's intentional.

The knife simply represents a tool of some sort. Most cultures will have tools capable of inflicting injuries. Anything a mob can kill a hero with really. It could just as easily be replaced with a baton (Str+1).

They have Shooting in case the heroes decide to rouse a rebellion and get the locals on their side. Joe Citizen may be willing to sit 50 feet away and use a gun at the evil enemy soldiers (and at a d4 he's still a crap shot), but he's less inclined to charge up close and personal against a combat trained foe. In that respect, not having Fighting is effectively a morale penalty. Without Fighting or Shooting, they'd be totally useless, so I opted for Shooting :)


Wiggy
Wiggy

Creative Director Triple Ace Games

User avatar
Noshrok Grimskull
Legendary
Posts: 3835
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:18 pm
Location: I'm out of my mind, but I'll be back later

#19 Postby Noshrok Grimskull » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:43 pm

Ah, OK.
"If you think I'm crazy, you should see the people I'm locked up with." - Steamdriven



"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - The Doctor (Doctor Who)

User avatar
Mindseye
Seasoned
Posts: 454
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:01 pm
Location: Wichita, Kansas

#20 Postby Mindseye » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:13 pm

Would I be correct in assuming that the laser pistols in the SWR are considered to be T1 tech level weapons?


Return to “Official Answers on How the Rules In Other Pinnacle Products Work”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Malkleth and 1 guest