Introduced some friends to DLR-they loved it!

All discussions about the Weird West setting for Savage Worlds. If specific to another system, please note in the subject line, [Classic], [d20], or [Protocol].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Wolfbiter
Novice

Introduced some friends to DLR-they loved it!

#1 Postby Wolfbiter » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:11 pm

Hey all! A friend of mine told me his daughter wanted to try out pen-and-paper RPGs for the first time, and asked if I could run a game for the two of them. I suggested a few systems, and they picked Deadlands.

Their first session went really well! I started them out in Tombstone, using elements of the "Aces Low" Savage Tale from Stone and a Hard Place. They picked up the rules very quickly and had a lot of fun starting out:

My friend's daughter played a Huckster in town for the tournament, and her dad played a Harrowed gunfighter looking for the man who killed him. Tombstone turned out to be a great starting point for both of them...the Dad helped Virgil Earp defuse an ugly fight between two drunken gamblers, while his daughter (thanks to some high Persuasion rolls) ended up making friends with Ike Clanton and Billy Claiborne. This made things lively when both of them ended up caught in the middle of a face-off between the Earps and Cowboys during a fracas at the Bird Cage Theatre!

The poker tournament was fun too, with Dad getting eliminated right away and the daughter getting through to the final round of Day 1. (I told her she had the bad luck to sit at Doc Holliday's table for her last hand.) :D

Tangling with the main bad guy was a lot of fun also. The daughter had a great time throwing Bolts, and there was a black comedy moment when Dad tried to sneak up on the main villain, only to flub his stealth roll. The villain surprised him instead and stabbed him in the back with a Bowie knife...only to have the Dad turn around slowly, pull it out, glare at him and shoot him at point blank range as the villain's jaw dropped!

Thanks to a couple of lucky rolls during combat (and help from an important NPC) the players even successfully took down the main villain!

Now they are set up to work as partners working as troubleshooters for the Lady Luck Society opposing some of the occult villains of the Weird West.

A few funny moments: The dad grousing about how confusing it is to have a gang of robbers called "The Cowboys" ("What's the point of calling themselves 'Cowboys'? This is the West! EVERYONE'S a cowboy!") and the daughter casting her Armor spell by taking a face card from her deck and slapping it against her chest.

It turned out to be a great first session, and I'm looking forward to having them tangle with Bayou Vermillion, the Court, and getting more involved gradually in the Earp/Cowboy feud. Though I don't think I want to commit them to the full campaign against Stone ... I think that's probably too harsh for first-time players.

Erolat
Novice

Re: Introduced some friends to DLR-they loved it!

#2 Postby Erolat » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:41 pm

Sounds like everyone had fun, congratulations.

I agree that the campaign against Stone can be rough, especially with only two PCs. However, the shoot out and resulting tension are great seeds for further adventures in and around Tombstone. And going out to the Graveyard would be good measure of how ready they would be for the bigger story. I might wait till they are Veterans but by then everyone should be comfortable enough, and have enough extras, to try it.

Again, congratulations on the start of what sounds like an exciting campaign.

Wolfbiter
Novice

#3 Postby Wolfbiter » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:48 pm

Definitely planning to do Graveyard and Bayou Vermilion as ongoing villains...that's already in the works!

The shootout at OK Corral and Vengeance Ride from the plot point are really awesome, and my favorite parts of the campaign, but I'm going to hold off until I see how their players handle some of the more conventional Weird West encounters first (Walkin' dead, weird cultists, rail warriors, the usual, lol.) :D

It turns out I have two other friends who I ran a Deadlands one-shot for a few months back who are living in the area. I may ask if they'd like to join in! It would be the first time in ages I've been able to GM a regular campaign without having to travel quite a distance (or use Skype).

Wolfbiter
Novice

#4 Postby Wolfbiter » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:55 pm

Second session was even better! :D

I invited two other friends who had played a game of DLR to join us, and once again a good time was had by all.

My group now consists of:
1. A teenage Huckster who is following in her late father's footsteps as a gambler, who recently was recruited into the Lady Luck Society.
2. A Harrowed drifter who hunted down the man who murdered him in our first adventure, and now is trying to get by while piecing together his past.
3. A Texas Ranger who has been newly assigned to Arizona Territory.
4. A Hexslinger who seeks redemption from his past as a cold-blooded killer, and now relies on Ghost Bullets to avoid killing people in shootouts.

We ran the "Showdown at Canyon Diablo" One Sheet, and despite the group's relative inexperience, they did very well. Highlights included:

1. The Harrowed getting spectacular rolls on Intimidate, terrifying a couple of outlaws into surrendering outright during a fight and finding out valuable information that helped the players when they faced the main villains.

2. The Huckster sneaking into town disguised as a ghost rock prospector, befriending a burro now named "Jose" and accidentally dropping a stick of dynamite during a fight...but as she fled, the Walkin' Dead pursuing her got too close to the explosives and she set them off with a Bolt, blowing them all up!

3. Our Hexslinger engaging in a dramatic final duel with one of the Villains, and shooting him down without killing him, leaving the Ranger free to bring him to justice and the hangman's noose.

4. The Ranger demonstrating some spectacular Riding skills escaping a Dust Devil during a random encounter, and at the end of the game succeeding at a Tale Tellin' that lowered the Fear level of the town when the bad guys were defeated.

I have to say, I am impressed how well Savage Worlds works as a game system, especially for new players. Our games moved quickly, there were easy ways to figure out what mechanics to use when players wanted to do something unusual or out of the ordinary, and the Huckster and Hexslinger really liked the poker card system for magic and HIgh Noon Duels.

We're looking forward to our next session! :D

Return to “Deadlands: The Weird West”