How's it selling?

Information and comments on all Pinnacle licensed Savage Settings. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [SR] for Savage Rifts®, [6G] for The Sixth Gun, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Licensee settings by 3rd parties are below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

kronovan
Heroic

Re: How's it selling?

#21 Postby kronovan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:23 pm

It's selling like hotcakes! How's that for an uber, concrete reply. :arrow: From my 6 years posting on this site, I've yet to see Pinnacle give a sales figure on any of their products, so I doubt the numbers are available anywhere except in the binary bits in their accounting data.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#22 Postby ValhallaGH » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:35 pm

supergyro wrote:It seems to me to all be an excuse to chime in on the subject of sales without any knowledge of what the sales actually *are*.

You asked two questions.
I answered the second (and more important) question.
When you persisted with the first question, I responded with reasons the information you want is not available to us.

Good gaming.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

pkitty
Seasoned

#23 Postby pkitty » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:37 pm

blackwingedheaven wrote:Given that the Kickstarter raised half a million dollars, the post-KS sales are almost irrelevant to determining how well the line is doing.

Speaking from experience (I work for Steve Jackson Games, where we've kickstarted several projects from board games to RPGs), this is not the case. While high KS sales are wonderful and necessary to get a project off the ground, after-the-fact sales are known as the "tail" (there's a "short tail" and "long tail") and it's that tail that determines the long-term viability of any game. Massive KS support followed by no tail = a niche product.
Fan of Deadlands, quickly becoming a fan of Savage Rifts.
My Savage Rifts house rules, resources, and sample characters.

blackwingedheaven
Seasoned

#24 Postby blackwingedheaven » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:40 am

pkitty wrote:
blackwingedheaven wrote:Given that the Kickstarter raised half a million dollars, the post-KS sales are almost irrelevant to determining how well the line is doing.

Speaking from experience (I work for Steve Jackson Games, where we've kickstarted several projects from board games to RPGs), this is not the case. While high KS sales are wonderful and necessary to get a project off the ground, after-the-fact sales are known as the "tail" (there's a "short tail" and "long tail") and it's that tail that determines the long-term viability of any game. Massive KS support followed by no tail = a niche product.

I'm familiar with short tail and long tail theory, but again: half a million dollars on a $4K goal is high enough to justify the next Kickstarter, pretty much no matter how well the line sells in the meantime.
"Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one." -Voltaire

synarchist
Novice

#25 Postby synarchist » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:47 pm

I do hope it's selling well enough post-Kickstarter to justify bringing on additional freelancers to work on the line. Sean Patrick Fannon is awesome, but even with help from other Pinnacle staff there's a LOT of material to cover. At one book a year I'll be dead of old age before everything's translated.

And half of that time will just be SPF sobbing plaintively trying to figure out how to balance the Cosmo-Knight haha.

Return to “SW Pinnacle Licensed Settings”