Keeping track of status effects?

A forum for discussing anything used to add to your Savage Worlds games; miniatures, terrain, character sheets, or game aides of any type.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Vinzent
Heroic

Keeping track of status effects?

#1 Postby Vinzent » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:42 pm

I was curious as to how you keep track of status effects like Shaken and Wounds for your players and NPCs at your table.

I made some of my own status chits, but I'm concerned that having too many bits and bobs at the game table is detracting from the play experience. We already have bennies, initiative cards, figure flats, and maps to deal with, I feel like I am overloading myself with toys.

So what do you use?
My Savage Worlds Blog
Get off the Human reservation. Read The Starrunner by C.B. Jones

SteelDraco
Seasoned

Re: Keeping track of status effects?

#2 Postby SteelDraco » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:34 pm

I have little red glass beads that denote Shaken status that I place next to minis on the board. I just picked up a 1" hole punch this weekend with the intention of laminating cardstock markers for other possible status effects. I've considered using condition cards for stuff like wounds and fatigue instead, and handing them to the player rather than putting them on the map, but that's a bit tough to do for NPCs - for my own NPCs I usually just write it down, rather than marking something on the board. I've also considered getting some tiny red and green rubber bands, and draping those on minis to represent wounds and fatigue, respectively.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#3 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:51 pm

For Shaken, I just tip over the relevant miniature. I take a look at the table, and immediately know who is still Shaken.

If I've got a lot of Wild Cards on the field, I'll use spare poker chips as Wound indicators. Stack them under the miniature, and a glance tells me how badly hurt that Wild Card is.

Parry modifiers are more slippery. I put effort into tracking those myself, but it's not perfect. Worse, I have yet to figure out a system that is practical for my tables.

Note that these techniques work even for Theater of the Mind. The minis don't have to be moved around, adjust for cover, or even been near the minis of the characters they're adjacent to, they just need to represent who is involved in the scene.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Deskepticon
Veteran

#4 Postby Deskepticon » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:26 pm

For me, the more visual aid I have to keep track of things actually helps keep the game flowing. If I can just look over at a player's character sheet and see two bright red Wound markers, it saves me the trouble and time of asking them.

I use one of those little 8"x10" plastic organizer cases you get at Home Depot for cheap. It's easy to pass around the table and keeps everything in one place when not in use. Wounded? Grab a red chip. Fatigued? Grab a blue. Poisoned/diseased? Grab a green. Put'em back when your done.

Lord Karick
Seasoned

#5 Postby Lord Karick » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:23 pm

Glass beads: red for wounds, yellow for shaken and blue for fatigue. It's straightforward and not too cluttered.

Vinzent
Heroic

#6 Postby Vinzent » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:33 pm

Lord Karick wrote:Glass beads: red for wounds, yellow for shaken and blue for fatigue. It's straightforward and not too cluttered.

I already made some condition markers for myself. I guess I am looking for a way to simplify my table that doesn't include more props.
My Savage Worlds Blog

SeeleyOne
Veteran

#7 Postby SeeleyOne » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:59 pm

You can do it the old-fashioned way and write things down. Maybe on a white board on the wall.

I prefer the props, myself. They are much easier to game with. No need to write things, you have the token(s) so we all know what is up.
Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

To be evil is to live backwards

Deskepticon
Veteran

#8 Postby Deskepticon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:32 pm

^yep

Vinzent
Heroic

#9 Postby Vinzent » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:16 am

Kk, thanks all.

I have this problem where I burn my brain on crafting nick-nacks. And I end up with tools I don't need. Sometimes I have to do a reality check.
My Savage Worlds Blog

Deskepticon
Veteran

#10 Postby Deskepticon » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:22 am

Vinzent wrote:Kk, thanks all.

I have this problem where I burn my brain on crafting nick-nacks. And I end up with tools I don't need. Sometimes I have to do a reality check.

Well whatever works for some might not work for others.

If chips, beads, stones, etc just add clutter (and take up real-estate better served for beer bottles and shot glasses :wink: ) then by all means find something else. A white board everyone can see was mentioned...

Phasma Felis
Seasoned

#11 Postby Phasma Felis » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:12 pm

SteelDraco wrote:I've also considered getting some tiny red and green rubber bands, and draping those on minis to represent wounds and fatigue, respectively.

That's a really good idea that I haven't heard before. Good thinking. I bet they'd work with figure flats, too. Might need to attach a bent paperclip or something to hook them on.

I've seen some people use little round paper stickers in different colors--the kind people use for price stickers at yard sales, that come in packs of 200 at the supermarket--and stick them to D&D minis. They're about as permanent as a post-it note, so that works well. SW minis might get overloaded with 3 wound stickers and a Shaken sticker, I dunno.

Deskepticon
Veteran

#12 Postby Deskepticon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:03 pm

Phasma Felis wrote:
SteelDraco wrote:I've also considered getting some tiny red and green rubber bands, and draping those on minis to represent wounds and fatigue, respectively.

That's a really good idea that I haven't heard before. Good thinking. I bet they'd work with figure flats, too. Might need to attach a bent paperclip or something to hook them on.

Interesting. If you use tri-folds (like my cheap ass) colored paper clips would work beautifully. I never thought of that before. Thanks!

Gatlin
Novice

#13 Postby Gatlin » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:55 pm

We use the little plastic rings off of a soda or water bottle. Red for wounds, yellow for shaken, etc.

Lord Lance
Heroic

#14 Postby Lord Lance » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:52 pm

Gatlin wrote:We use the little plastic rings off of a soda or water bottle. Red for wounds, yellow for shaken, etc.

This is good. It feels like some kind of youtube russian life hack! :lol:
"Balance is the key, Trapping is the word." - - Lord Lance

Proud creator of the SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY

SeeleyOne
Veteran

#15 Postby SeeleyOne » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:27 pm

And it is a form of recycling.
Just about every kid today wants to be Batman, Spiderman, or Superman. Maybe if we were better parents they would not want to become orphans.

To be evil is to live backwards

Big Juju
Seasoned

#16 Postby Big Juju » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:53 pm

Gatlin wrote:We use the little plastic rings off of a soda or water bottle. Red for wounds, yellow for shaken, etc.

If you want to save yourself the sugar intake you could use colored pipe cleaners bent in a circle instead.
Check out my Savage Star Wars adventures: http://heathenmonkeys.blogspot.com/

alinman
Novice

#17 Postby alinman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:33 pm

I got a set of colored pipe cleaners and clipped them into appropriate lengths to wrap around the minis -- yellow for shaken, red for wounded, blue for fatigued. One of the main advantages is that you can easily bend them in a way to tell how many wounds are on a WC. One of the main disadvantages is what happened in my last DLR session, where after a character was wounded everyone was saying, "Hey, Beth, why are you wearing a feather boa?" That said, I had trouble with rubber bands (they're never the right size for all your minis) and just didn't care for the cardboard condition markers one player had picked up; they were kind of a pain when you were trying to move the mini around the map and had to move all the markers along.

Return to “SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides”