Saga of the Goblin Horde

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Deskepticon
Veteran

Re: Saga of the Goblin Horde

#41 Postby Deskepticon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:11 am

Does SotGH use Strength requirements for weapons?
In other words, does a Strength d6 goblin wielding a d8 damage weapon need both hands to make full use of it? Or can it simply be wielded one-handed for d6+d8 damage?

Zadmar
Legendary

#42 Postby Zadmar » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:10 am

Deskepticon wrote:Does SotGH use Strength requirements for weapons?

Yes, it follows the core rules.
My blog: Savage Stuff. I've also written some free tools and supplements.

Snate56
Legendary

#43 Postby Snate56 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:28 am

Ha! I do pretty much the same thing with my Bennies! Except I chose epoxy stickers sized for Scrabble tiles; a bit small, perhaps, but they made dandy Bennies for my pulp game.
I was thinking of going up to the 1" diameter ones, though.

I think the claws, teeth and arrowheads are more Indian than Goblin. I'll keep thinking.

Will we be able to get your campaign deck through DriveThruCards? I'd much rather have a real deck of cards rather than print them off and put them in sleeves.

SteveN
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

Zadmar
Legendary

#44 Postby Zadmar » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:46 am

Snate56 wrote:Will we be able to get your campaign deck through DriveThruCards?

Yes, that's the plan. I've come up with a simple icon-based solution for the adventure generator (used by the Campaign Deck) that'll allow me to avoid making any references to Savage Worlds mechanics.

If I do create some Adventure Cards, they'll probably have to be PDF only though, unless I can find some way to make them generic. Things like "inflict double damage on your next attack" would be generic enough to apply to a range of roleplaying systems, for example, but I would have to avoid mentioning things like Bennies, Wild Cards, etc.

slingbld
Novice

#45 Postby slingbld » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:02 pm

I've been following along through G+ and loving what you've come up with.
The Player's Guide has only fed my desire to see the final setting book even more than before.
Any idea when you should be able to release the setting book?
Just an estimate is all I ask. Will it be before Summer? Mid summer? Early Fall?

Thanks!

Zadmar
Legendary

#46 Postby Zadmar » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:06 am

slingbld wrote:I've been following along through G+ and loving what you've come up with.
The Player's Guide has only fed my desire to see the final setting book even more than before.
Any idea when you should be able to release the setting book?
Just an estimate is all I ask. Will it be before Summer? Mid summer? Early Fall?

Technically there's about a month of work left to do, the problem is it's not the only thing I'm working on, and it's currently not my highest priority.

As I've mentioned before, after I've released the Savage Worlds version of Saga of the Goblin Horde, I plan to create another version for my own system. However I want to playtest my new system as much as possible before I publish it, and I don't have too many opportunities for playtesting, so I've been focusing most of my recent efforts on getting my system into a playable state as quickly as possible. After that I'll be able to playtest in parallel to working on the SW version of the setting book.

In terms of word count, my system is already about 25% bigger than the SotGH player's guide, so it's proven to be a pretty big project in its own right. Most of the essential pieces are now in place though, and I've already run a few playtests and have some more planned for next week, so with luck I should be able to get back to working on the setting book next month (although I will still need to split my time somewhat, for example I have another major playtest in late April).

But if all goes to plan, I'd estimate a release date of May or June for the Savage Worlds setting book.

Zadmar
Legendary

#47 Postby Zadmar » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:22 am

Check out this one shot adventure by Saga of the Goblin Horde fan David Garrett: The Big Brawl

slingbld
Novice

#48 Postby slingbld » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:20 am

Zadmar wrote:But if all goes to plan, I'd estimate a release date of May or June for the Savage Worlds setting book.

I can definitely wait that long without going insane. (Well, no more than I already am!)
I'd rather wait a bit longer, and get a better product as well as know the author isn't getting completely burned out working too hard on it.

Thanks for the reply!

Patrick G.

Zadmar
Legendary

#49 Postby Zadmar » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:43 am

New One Sheet: Can of Wyrms

I've released another One Sheet, this one is a sequel to Egg Hunt, the Easter themed adventure I released in March last year. Can of Wyrms is my 27th Savage Worlds fan PDF!

Snate56
Legendary

#50 Postby Snate56 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:30 am

So, I was digging around on the internet for pictures to use for knick knacks and to make some item cards and stumbled across this...

...obviously from some ancient order of Swiss ninjas...

...iv'e probably just signed my death warrant... :o

SteveN
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

Zadmar
Legendary

#51 Postby Zadmar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:46 am

Snate56 wrote:So, I was digging around on the internet for pictures to use for knick knacks and to make some item cards and stumbled across this...

Please tell me you used it for a card ;) I'm definitely going to have to put together some knick-knack cards for my games, I think.

I also managed to scrape up enough artwork for some Adventure Cards, so I'll be posting those once I've had the chance to turn them into a PDF.

Phasma Felis
Seasoned

#52 Postby Phasma Felis » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:12 pm

Zadmar wrote:
Snate56 wrote:Will we be able to get your campaign deck through DriveThruCards?

Yes, that's the plan. I've come up with a simple icon-based solution for the adventure generator (used by the Campaign Deck) that'll allow me to avoid making any references to Savage Worlds mechanics.

If I do create some Adventure Cards, they'll probably have to be PDF only though, unless I can find some way to make them generic. Things like "inflict double damage on your next attack" would be generic enough to apply to a range of roleplaying systems, for example, but I would have to avoid mentioning things like Bennies, Wild Cards, etc.

Regarding Bennies, Lots and lots of games have some kind of limited special-effect resource for players. You could just use a generic term and instruct players to use Bennies, Action Points, Hero Points, or whatever as appropriate to their system. (For that matter, Paranoia also uses the word "Bennies", though I'm not sure which edition introduced them; and of course the slang term itself predates RPGs.)

Wild Cards are a little trickier, but there's probably a reasonable way to genericize them. Heck, just say to draw a playing card each round and if it's a joker you can use the ability, unless your system already has you draw a playing card each round, then use that.
Snate56 wrote:I can't think of anything to use as Bennies!
I don't just want to have a goblin picture, I thought about collecting a bunch of... well... knick knacks :) like Monopoly or Clue tokens, but not all of them really work well (i.e., automatic pistol w/ silencer...). Maybe I could do pictures of objects, kinda like item cards.

I was thinking you could go down to the craft store and buy a bunch of random tchotchkes, glass beads, plastic coins, and so forth, then hand them out randomly (from a crudely handmade bowl, ideally). Maybe order some of those metal prop coins I've seen at online RPG/LARP stores.

A Knick-Knack Deck sounds like a lot of fun too. :) Nothing too obviously useful...

Zadmar
Legendary

#53 Postby Zadmar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Phasma Felis wrote:
Zadmar wrote:If I do create some Adventure Cards, they'll probably have to be PDF only though, unless I can find some way to make them generic. Things like "inflict double damage on your next attack" would be generic enough to apply to a range of roleplaying systems, for example, but I would have to avoid mentioning things like Bennies, Wild Cards, etc.

Regarding Bennies, Lots and lots of games have some kind of limited special-effect resource for players. You could just use a generic term and instruct players to use Bennies, Action Points, Hero Points, or whatever as appropriate to their system. (For that matter, Paranoia also uses the word "Bennies", though I'm not sure which edition introduced them; and of course the slang term itself predates RPGs.)

It's the same with the Adventure Deck - Torg had the Drama Deck, Ars Magica had Whimsey Cards, etc. I've recently been throwing around ideas for a deck of my own design, and plan to playtest some prototype cards later this week. In theory they could probably be used for Savage Worlds as well, but they're not compatible with Adventure Cards, so you couldn't mix them.

However I've also managed to put together 8 Savage Worlds style Adventure Cards with a goblin theme, and will be releasing those soon as a separate PDF under the fan license.

Phasma Felis wrote:A Knick-Knack Deck sounds like a lot of fun too. :) Nothing too obviously useful...

Useful is a relative term ;) I was recently invited to play Saga of the Goblin Horde on the Wild Die Podcast, and had to come up with three knick-knacks. I chose:

1. A voluminous and slightly soiled pair of ogre-sized underpants.

2. A rolled up poster illustrated with a lewd and anatomically improbable picture of a bugbear.

3. A glass jar containing a pickled brain with the eyeballs still attached.

I managed to use all of them during the course of the adventure ;)

Zadmar
Legendary

#54 Postby Zadmar » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:25 pm

As promised: Adventure Cards

Zadmar
Legendary

#55 Postby Zadmar » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:03 am

A couple weeks ago, Eric Lamoureux ran an awesome Saga of the Goblin Horde adventure of his own devising. I had the pleasure of joining Gary McCallum, Matt Stark, Stephane Gauthier, Jaime Pierson and Blaine Wagner for a hilarious decent into depravity.

After a colossal editing job by Harrison Hunt, reducing the 3 hour session to a 1 hour Podcast episode, the Actual Play is now available (although it's still fairly NSFW).

Check out 6 Heads for the Head Honcho!

Phasma Felis
Seasoned

#56 Postby Phasma Felis » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:32 am

Zadmar wrote:

I don't think the core rules say anything about using two-handed weapons with one hand. I was confused about that with the Warfist edge, actually--it says it lets you use a two-handed weapon in one hand, but doesn't mention Strength requirements, and all (both) of the two-handed weapons is SotGH are d10 or d12, while goblins (except for troblins) are limited to d8. Can a d8 Strength goblin with Warfist use an ogre sword without penalty, or...?

Zadmar
Legendary

#57 Postby Zadmar » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:27 am

Phasma Felis wrote:
Zadmar wrote:

I don't think the core rules say anything about using two-handed weapons with one hand.

Normally you suffer a -4 penalty for wielding a two-handed weapon in one hand (see the One Arm Hindrance, or posts like this from Clint).

Phasma Felis wrote:I was confused about that with the Warfist edge, actually--it says it lets you use a two-handed weapon in one hand, but doesn't mention Strength requirements, and all (both) of the two-handed weapons is SotGH are d10 or d12, while goblins (except for troblins) are limited to d8.

Hobgoblins, half-humans and bugbears can also take the War Fist Edge, and their Strength isn't capped at d8. For goblins and gremlins, there's also the spear, which is pretty decent with War Fist, allowing you to use a shield in the other hand. And of course you could always add other weapons from SWD, the FC, or other settings.

Phasma Felis wrote:Can a d8 Strength goblin with Warfist use an ogre sword without penalty, or...?

They wouldn't suffer the -4 penalty for wielding it in one hand, but the weapon damage would still be capped by their Strength die (so it would effectively be Str+d8 rather than Str+d12 if they only had Strength d8).

Phasma Felis
Seasoned

#58 Postby Phasma Felis » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:20 pm

Zadmar wrote:
Phasma Felis wrote:
Zadmar wrote:Yes, it follows the core rules.

I don't think the core rules say anything about using two-handed weapons with one hand.

Normally you suffer a -4 penalty for wielding a two-handed weapon in one hand (see the One Arm Hindrance, or posts like this from Clint).

That makes sense. You might want to mention that in the text, since it's important to the way War Fist works and it's only implied in the core rules. :) And yeah, I had forgotten about the spear.

Phasma Felis
Seasoned

#59 Postby Phasma Felis » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:26 pm

So I read the bit in Saga of the Goblin Horde about how gremlins can be mad scientists as per the core rules, and I thought, I can't really see these guys doing the whole jetpacks-and-rayguns thing. Unstable alchemy seems more up their alley.

About a week of pondering later, I came up with this. :) Sorry for the wall of text; I'm gonna split it into a few posts for legibility.

Gremlin alchemists are scary little bastards, prone to chucking around weird bombs and allegedly-beneficial mutagens without an enormous amount of concern for which is which. Most goblins try not to stand too close to an alchemist's enemies. Or his allies. Or anywhere near him, really. Still, a ready supply of moonshine and incendiaries is hard to resist. Every goblin village likes to have an alchemist nearby...just not too near.

Gremlin Alchemy works like Weird Science with some changes. Instead of a single gizmo, each alchemy power represents several single-use potions, oils, elixirs, or bombs. For example, an alchemist with 10 Power Points can carry three bottles of Scab Slime (Healing, 3 PP) and five bottles of Special Fire Brew (Bolt, 2 PP). Generally, any decisions associated with the power (damage, duration, template size, etc.) must be made in advance, when the potion is prepared. All restrictions are subject to change with a fun concept and GM approval.

Number of Powers: Alchemists start with two powers instead of one. Taking one attack power and one beneficial power isn't required, but does make the Malfunction Table more fun.

Range: Alchemy potions use Throwing with a range of 3/6/12, whatever the original power's range was. Template powers deviate 1d3" per range bracket on a miss. Powers with an original range of Self or Touch can be also used be used as normal Touch spells; if given to an ally, use the alchemist's Weird Science skill, not the user's. Alchemists can draw and throw a potion in one action without penalty.

Targets and Templates: Alchemy powers can't use the Additional Targets option. Beneficial powers are always single-target (though potions can be passed out to a group ahead of time). Attack powers always use a template. Single-target attack powers (including Bolt, which loses the multiple-bolts option) get a Small Burst Template for free. Multi-target attack powers get a Medium Burst Template for the same Power Point cost as three targets.

Malfunction: Instead of the normal Malfunction Table, use this one. If the result doesn't make sense, the GM should draw again, or pick one, or make up something funny.
  • Spades—Wrong Guy: Your attack potion hits an ally near your target, or your beneficial potion hits an enemy near your target.
  • Diamonds—Wrong Bottle: Your potion hits its target, but you grabbed the wrong bottle, or maybe put the wrong stuff in it in the first place; activate one of your other powers at random.
  • Hearts—Really Wrong Bottle: As Wrong Bottle, but choose randomly from your beneficial powers if it was supposed to be an attack power, and vice versa.
  • Clubs—Boom: Your attack potion goes off in your hand with its normal effect, or your beneficial potion somehow also goes off in your hand, doing 2d6 damage in a Small Burst Template.
Recharging: Alchemists are assumed to spend their off time brewing fresh potions, gathering ingredients, and making fire bottles, moonshine, and snake oil to trade for ingredients. Their Power Points recharge normally in most circumstances. An alchemist with a particularly good line in mushroom whiskey might be Rich; one who just can't hide how much he wants that weird root you found might have Poverty and/or Poor Taste.

Phasma Felis
Seasoned

#60 Postby Phasma Felis » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:28 pm

Alchemical Trappings
  • Smoky: An area-effect power with this trapping leaves a cloud of smoke, fog, or dust behind in its template, as the Obscure spell but with a -2 penalty instead of -6. It dissipates after three rounds.
  • Slippery: An area-effect power with this trapping leaves behind ice, grease, broken ground, or some other minor obstacle. Treat the template area as Difficult Terrain.
  • Flammable: An area-effect power with this trapping leaves flammable vapor, oil, or debris behind in its template. If ignited, it burns for 1 round, doing 2d4 damage and possibly igniting flammable targets (as a "spot fire"). This power costs +1 Power Point.
Sample Powers
  • Special Brew: Most alchemists make and sell fire bottles for knick-knacks and ingredients, but they jealously guard their special brew; it burns hotter and faster, in designer colors. (Bolt, 3 PP, 3d6/SBT, Fire/Flammable trapping)
  • Triple-Refined Special Brew: Fire bottle juice concentrated to a thick sludge. Explodes spectacularly. At the GM's option, a Seasoned alchemist can swap their Special Brew power for this one at no cost. (Blast, 6 PP, 3d6/LBT, Fire/Flammable trapping)
  • Hair Bomb: A pinch of barghest fur gives this recipe its kick. A waist-deep mat of thick, black hair grows in seconds, entwining enemies. You think they're mad now, wait 'til you set all that greasy fur on fire. (Entangle, 5 PP, MBT, Slippery and Flammable trappings)
  • Wall-in-a-Bottle: Fizzes up into a crusty black wall when poured on the ground, like a vertical blacksnake firework. Can cover up to 5" if poured (lasting 3 rounds), or can be thrown for an LBT-sized boulder with 3 wounds (5 rounds). (Barrier, 5 PP)
  • Puffball Bomb: Mushroom spores in mutagenic fertilizer. On impact, a huge, rubbery puffball mushroom grows explosively, flinging away people and objects and damaging light structures, before bursting into a cloud of spores. Handy for escaping attackers and reseeding the fungus farms. (Havoc, 4 PP, LBT, Smoky trapping, moves affected characters outwards instead of randomly)
  • Growth Goo: When applied to an arm/hand, this stinking mutagenic oil causes it to swell dramatically, providing a temporary war fist. It works on other body parts too, but the results range from useless to hilarious. (Smite, 2 PP, called shot at -2 to hit an arm when thrown)
  • Shroom Pot: A cloud of aerosolized mushroom juice will leave your enemies giggling and staggering about. (Or your friends--great at parties.) Psychonauts are immune, or at least used to it. (Confusion, MBT instead of multiple targets, 5 PP)

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”