possible spoilers ahead
In the house they found a headless body, many empty bottles, and dried food. The place was not very clean. They decided to head to harbor and then the town in order to ask around about the Kraken.
For several hours they wandered around but got no further in their investigation. No one has seen a Kraken for more than a year, nor does anyone know of a ship awaiting offshore (they thought maybe the Kraken came from there). At one point they run into James Low in the street. He greeted them cordially, thanking them for helping him the last time they met. The party then offered him to help them with capturing a ship, laden with gold and precious cargo. It took some convincing but his greed won and he told them he’ll join them. The plan was to sail the next day to the rendezvous with Duckworth, thus leading Low into a trap.
Before heading back to the ship they returned to the house of the headless man, only to find it being burned. Asking the neighbours, they were told that they decided to burn it since it looks like there were several diseased corpses there in the morning. They told about their neighbour, Andrew, who was a very troubled man; he did not talk much but he did drink and shout a lot.
While they were talking Gronk walked around the house and found track leading from the sea to the house. He called the others over to see; they decided to go to the ship and search the waters east of Brigandy Bay. Several miles into the sea they spotted a black tower protruding from the sea; and as they approached a mist came up and 16 zombies boarded the ship to attack. They managed to kill all the zombies and approached the tower. Gronk, Killian, Sphene, and Jenevive went in.
They took the stairs up. The first three stories were empty, the fourth had some zombies; and as they killed them all they heard shuffling and whispers from the floor above. They headed up, with Jenevive summoning a Fire Elemental.
On the top floor they encountered their nemesis with an entourage of eight zombies. The battle was intense, with the Kraken necromancer flinging many spells at the party (but failing in many of them), and the party having a hard time hurting him. It was a long and depleting battle, but in the end they Killian finally managed to kill the Lich; but they were all tired and wounded after this fight.
Jenevive Jant (aka Saraphen, Sandra, Highness): 67 (Heroic)
Sphene: 67 (Heroic)
Killian: 62 (Veteran)
Gronk: 58 (Veteran
- The fight with the Lich took a long while.
- He had Quickness (givbing him to turns per round) and Deflection on before they came in and maintained them for most of the combat. Jenevive started the fight with only two Power Points (many fights this day); and the Elemental was dismissed rather quickly. The zombies managed to occupy the party while the Lich tried to cast spell; I rolled rather poorly and went out of bennies for him early into the fight.
- I really wanted to succeed in Puppet power but that did not happen
- Near the end of the fight the players were out of bennies and any wound (from the Lich's touch attack) they had could not be Soaked and some had trouble recovering from Shaken
- First time (i think) the party goes toe-to-toe against a foe with very high Toughness. They hit, but did not do enough damage.