Off-Hand Attacks (and some ideas concerning them)

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: Off-Hand Attacks (and some ideas concerning them)

#41 Postby ValhallaGH » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:07 am

Page 132, the sidebar titled Two For One.

HJ = Hero's Journey.
IF = Iconic Framework.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Freemage
Veteran

#42 Postby Freemage » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:32 am

ZenFox42 wrote:Ah. I wasn't aware of the trade-off ability. But looking thru my Savage RIFTS The Tomorrow Legion Player's Guide (2016), I only see that "2-for-1" tradeoff offered on the MARS F&G table, but not on any of the others...???

In addition, the cyborg build gives "two rolls on any of the following tables: Cybernetics, Close Combat Weapons, Ranged Weapons, and Training. They gain a third roll on any table except those dealing with magic, psionics, or Body Armor." So, 3 rolls, not 6.

Are you using a different RIFTS Setting? And what does "HJ" and "IF" stand for? :?

Ah, I stand corrected on the Cyborg's count--I'm used to most of the IFs (Iconic Frameworks) having a total of 5. With three rolls, the player would need to put all three on the Training table, and hope for the best. If they get EITHER the "Combat Edge" or the "Martial Artist/Brawler" result with one of those three rolls, then the other two can be traded to get the second one, per the rule ValhallaGH noted.

Actually, for the SuperCheese version (wherein I just pick the roll results I want to, in order to push the concept as far as I can) of the Combat Cyborg, the real way to go is to use the third roll to take Background Edge off of Experience & Wisdom, select Rich, and then use the 2 rolls on the Cybernetics Table to get two levels of Bionic Strength Augmentation. That brings us up to d12 + d6 + 12 at Novice. Oooh, and I flubbed the "SuperCheese" option for the MARS Power Armor Jock, too:

Human MARS Power Armor Jock
Triax Predator (Base Strength: d12 + 6)
d4s in Smarts and Agility; d8s in Vigor and Spirit, d6 in Strength to start
F&G Table: Two HJ Table Results (Both on Experience & Wisdom)
F&G Table: Strong & Powerful (+1 Strength Die)
F&G Table: Two HJ Table Results (Both on Cybernetics)
HJ Training Table: Martial Artist and Brawler (MA gives +d4, Brawler adds +2 to damage)
HJ Training Table: Combat Edge: Improved Martial Artist (gives +d6)
HJ Experience & Wisdom Table: Background Edge: Rich
HJ Experience & Wisdom Table: Background Edge: Filthy Rich
HJ Cybernetics Table (5 rolls from Filthy Rich, 2 from F&G directly): x7 levels of Bionic Strength Augmentation.
x2 Hindrances: Martial Arts Master x2 (+4)
Racial Edge: Martial Arts Master (+2)
Novice 1 and Seasoned 1 Advances: Both Strength-die bumps
MARS Advances: Two-Fisted, Ambidextrous, Trademark Weapon (Unarmed, if your GM allows this), Frenzy

Now he's at d12 + d6 + 15 outside of his suit of armor. In the armor, it's only d12 + d6 + 14, but it's Mega-Damage.

So stay in the Power Armor if you need to punch out a tank, and get out if you want to simply push their nose through the back of their skull.

ZenFox42
Veteran

#43 Postby ZenFox42 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:16 am

So, if I've got this correct, the best a Martial Artist Cyborg could realistically and intentionally do is :

Spend 2 HJ Training results for : Martial Artist and Brawler (MA does nothing, Brawler adds +2 to damage)
Third HJ roll : "any" table, take the result
x2 Hindrances: Improved Martial Artist, Martial Arts Master (+2)
IF Edge : Martial Arts Master (+2)

for a total of d12+d6+8 damage, with Fighting d12? That's still not too shabby...

And, anyone want to comment on my previous observation that Martial Arts Master is broken (since it gives up to +10 damage), and should be nerfed in some way?
Savage Summaries-RAW, with added info from Clint:Combat Actions,Cover,Healing,Using Powers,Grappling,Chases
Also:Persuasion,Better Bosses,Better Combat Rating
And:historical tech levels,generic sci-fi tech levels

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#44 Postby ValhallaGH » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:04 am

MAM is an easy fix. Limit the times it can be taken, based upon average weapon damage in the setting; average unarmed damage becomes Str + 4.2 + 2 per Edge.
If the best melee weapon in the setting is the core rules Katana (Str+d6+2, AP 2) then average damage is Str+6.2, AP 2. So, MAM should be limited to two uses.
If the best melee weapon in the setting is a Savage Rifts Vibro Sword (Str+d10, AP 4) then average damage is Str+6.1, AP 4. So, MAM should be limited to three uses.
If the best melee weapon in the setting is a Savage Rifts Chain Great Sword (Str+2d10, AP 2) then average damage is Str+12.2, AP 2. So, MAM should be limited to five uses.
If the best melee weapon in the setting is the core rules laser sword (Str+d6+8, AP 12) then average damage is Str+12.2, AP 12. So, MAM should be limited to ten uses.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”