Attacks with extra set of arms and edges

Information and comments on all Pinnacle licensed Savage Settings. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [SR] for Savage Rifts®, [6G] for The Sixth Gun, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Licensee settings by 3rd parties are below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Baywulfe
Novice

Attacks with extra set of arms and edges

#1 Postby Baywulfe » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:05 pm

So here's the thing guys: I was reading this post about a borg having 4 arms...and then I got to read the stats of the Xiticix Super Warrior later on. The beast has SIX arms with the following Edges: Alertness, Ambidextrous, Command, Danger Sense, Fervor, Improved Block, Improved First Strike, Improved Frenzy, Steady Hands, Two-Fisted.

The description also states that the Xiticix Super Warrior has SIX arms and can use ALL six arms in combat without the MAP (Multi-Action Penalties). He can do so, I think, because of the Ambidextrous and Two-Fisted Edges. As for the Improved Frenzy Edge, this Edge states that you can do an extra fighting attack and ignore the -2 penalty to all fighting rolls.

The thing is, the way I understand this is that each pair of arms you have in SW grants you an attack, so 6 arms means 3 attacks at no MAP. But with the Two-Fisted and Ambidextrous Edges, each attack allows you to strike twice, meaning you roll each attack separately but ignore the multi-action penalty. And so, with Improved Frenzy, to my knowledge, would allow you to do a 4th attack....

Is that correct? :crazyeyes: :hammertime: :smack:

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: Attacks with extra set of arms and edges

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:27 pm

Nope, not correct. But pretty close.
The critter can use all six arms without penalty because the stat block says it can use all six arms without penalty. As a monstrous NPC, it uses whatever specific game mechanics its stats include.

If the Super Warrior was a PC, and didn't have that special ability to use all four arms without multi-action penalties, then it could make attacks with up to four weapons, for a total of five Fighting attacks (thanks to Improved Frenzy). One weapon in the main hand, one weapon in the off hand, one weapon in the second set of arms, and one weapon in the third set of arms.
It's also worth pointing out that the attacks made with Frenzy are a single action - both attacks happen at the same time, they don't allow the character to move between them, and they are more likely to Critically Fail because the player is rolling multiple Trait dice and a single Wild Die.

Welcome to the forum. :)
I hope the above was clear.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Baywulfe
Novice

Re: Attacks with extra set of arms and edges

#3 Postby Baywulfe » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:02 pm

Thank you thank you thank you!

ValhallaGH
Legendary